Improved Ant Colony Algorithm for the Constrained Vehicle Routing
Using the basic ant colony algorithm to solve the constrained vehicle routing problem (CVRP) has some drawbacks such as slow convergence speed and easily getting into local optimum. To effectively solve the CVRP, this paper has proposed a new ant colony algorithm (ACA-CVRP) based on the dynamic update of local and global pheromone and improved transfer rule. In order to shorten the process, the authors introduced the candidate list and 2-opt searching strategy. The experiment result shows that ACA-CVRP achieves better performance in optimum solution compared with other five main meta-heuristic algorithms.
KeywordsAnt colony algorithm Pheromone update 2-opt Candidate list CVRP
The first author is supported by the Youth Fund Project of Guangxi University for Nationalities (No. 2011MDQN038) and the open project of China-ASEAN Studies Center of Guangxi University for Nationalities (No. 2012012).
- 1.Meng, Y., Jianshe, S., Jiping, C.: The overview of application research of ant colony optimization. Comput. Simul. 26(6), 200–203 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Toth, P., Vigo, D.: The granular tabu search and its application to the vehicle routing problem. Working Paper, DEIS, University of Bologna (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Peng, Z.: An ant colony algorithm based on path similarity. Comput. Eng. Appl. 43(32), 29–33 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Jie, Y., Sheng, Y.: An ant colony algorithm based on pheromone intensity. Comput. Appl. 29(3), 865–867 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Doerner, K., Gronalt, M., Hartl, R.F., Reimann, M., Strauss, C., Stummer, M.: Savings ants for the vehicle routing problem. POM Working Paper 02/2002, Department of Production and Operations Management, University of Vienna (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Xiao, Z.: Applications in the vehicle routing problem of hybrid ant colony algorithm. Comput. Eng. 37(24), 190–192 (2011)Google Scholar