The Research on Teaching Methods of Object-Oriented Approach in Management Information Systems Curriculum
It is difficult for students who major in economics and management to learn object-oriented approach based on Unified Modeling Language (UML) in Management Information Systems (MIS) curriculum. To solve this problem, four methods about how to teach this approach are offered to teachers as follows. Summarizing consistency rules helps students to understand logical relationships between UML diagrams. Defining the core of UML helps students to grasp emphases. Designing creative experiments helps students to understand concepts and notations of UML deeply. With the help of specific program codes, abstract UML diagrams can be explained for students more clearly. These methods are proved to be effective to teach this approach in MIS curriculum.
KeywordsObject-oriented approach UML Management information systems Teaching methods
This work was supported by the Foundation of Henan University of Science and Technology Education Reformation (No. 2012Y-024).
- 1.Satzinger, J.W.: Systems analysis and design. In: A Changing World 6th Edition. pp. 98–99. Course Technology, Boston (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Sabine, M., Jean-Paul, R.: Teaching object-oriented modelling and UML to various audiences. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), pp. 40–54. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Jin, Z.: Research on UML teaching. China Educ. Innov. Herald 14(31), 172–173 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Lethbridge, T.C., Mussbacher, G., Forward, A., Badreddin, O.: Teaching UML using umple: Applying model-oriented programming in the classroom. 24th IEEE-CS conference on software engineering education and training, CSEE and T 2011—Proceedings, Piscataway: IEEE Computer Society, pp. 421–428 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Yu, Z., Wei, T.: Think and research on case teaching of UML. China Electr. Power Educ. 10(12), 86–88 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Lei, J.: Application of behaviour-oriented project teaching method in UML teaching. Sci. Technol. Inf. 14(26), 190–192 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Dai, C.: Application of goal driven teaching method in UML and use of UML modelling tools course. Sci. Technol. Inf. 24(1), 193–194 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Weizhong, S., Fuqing, Y.: Object-oriented Systems analysis, pp. 197–199. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Booch, G., Rumbaugh, J., Jacobson, I.: The Unified Modelling Language User Guide, 2nd edn. pp. 14–15. Addison-Wesley Professional, Indianapolis (2005)Google Scholar