A Procurement Auctions-Based Framework for Coordinating Platforms in Humanitarian Logistics
This chapter focuses on an auction-based procurement framework for single coordinating platforms in humanitarian logistics. It first covers disaster relief operations, humanitarian logistics, and procurement in this context and illustrate many of the issues that make the management and coordination of procurement functions complex and challenging. Then the proposed framework along with the auction model is discussed including the unique design characteristics associated with disaster relief environment. Three-phase approach presents a complete representation of the procurement in humanitarian logistics. Results indicate that the proposed announcement options increase the fill rate. Announcement construction criteria allow coordinating platforms to use varying bundling choices.
KeywordsTransportation Malaysia Dispatch
- ADSR. Annual Disaster Statistical Review 2010 by the Center for Research on Epidemiology of the Disasters. 2011. http://www.cred.be/sites/default/files/ADSR_2010.pdf. Accessed 9 Aug 2011.
- Bichler M, Kalagnanam J. Bidding languages and winner determination in multi-attribute auctions. IBM Research Report RC 22478. 2002.Google Scholar
- Coulter J, Walker D, Hodges R. Local and regional procurement of food aid in Africa: impact and policy issues. J Humanit Assist. 2007. http://jha.ac/2007/10/28/local-and-regional-procurement-of-food-aid-in-africa-impact-and-policy-issues. Accessed 13 Aug 2011.
- Davidson AL. Key performance indicators in humanitarian logistics. Master’s thesis. Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 2006.Google Scholar
- de Vries S, Vohra RV. Design of combinatorial auctions. Handbook of quantitative supply chain analysis: modeling in the e-business era. New York: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2004. pp. 247–87.Google Scholar
- Duran S, Ergun O, Keskinocak P, Swann J. Humanitarian logistics: advanced purchasing and pre-positioning of relief items. In: Bookbinder JH, Editor. To appear in “Global Logistics”. New York: Springer; 2013.Google Scholar
- ECHO Annual Report. http://ec.europa.eu/echo/files/media/publications/annual_report/annual_report_2010.pdf. 2011. Accessed 9 Aug 2011.
- Elmaghraby W, Keskinocak P. Combinatorial auctions in procurement. In: Harrison TP, Lee HL, Neale JJ, Editors. The practice of supply chain management: where theory and application converge. New York: Springer; 2006. pp. 245–58.Google Scholar
- Gong W. Post-crisis domestic procurement network to facilitate humanitarian assistance (a case of Sudan). In: ICEC’03. Proceedings of the 5th international conference on Electronic commerce; New York, USA. New York: ACM Press; 2003. pp. 505–9.Google Scholar
- HPC Annex IV. Rules and Procedures. 2009. http://ec.europa.eu/echo/files/about/actors/fpa/2010/annex_IV_rules_procedures_en.pdf. Accessed 9 Aug 2011.
- Jahre M, Heigh I. Does the current constraints in funding promote failure in Humanitarian supply chains? Suppl Chain Forum Int J. 2008;9(17):2.Google Scholar
- Kalagnanam J, Parkes DC. Auctions, bidding and exchange design. Handbook of quantitative supply chain analysis: modeling in the e-business era. New York: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2004. pp. 143–212.Google Scholar
- McAfee RP, McMillan J. Auctions and bidding. J Econ Lit. 1987;25:699–738.Google Scholar
- Murray S. How to deliver on the promises: supply chain logistics: humanitarian agencies are learning lessons from business in bringing essential supplies to regions hit by the tsunami. Financ Time. 2005;7:9.Google Scholar
- Schulz SF. Disaster relief logistics: benefits of and impediments to cooperation between humanitarian organizations. Switzerland: Haupt Verlag AG; 2009.Google Scholar
- Thomas A, Fritz L. Disaster Relief, Inc. Harvard Business Review. November, 2006; pp. 1–11.Google Scholar
- Thomas A, Mizushima M. Logistics training: necessity or luxury? Force Migr Rev. 2005;22:60–1.Google Scholar
- Tomasini R, Van Wassenhove LN. Genetically modified food donations and the cost of neutrality. Logistics response to the 2002 Southern Africa food crisis. Fontainebleau: INSEAD; 2004. Case 03/2004–5169.Google Scholar
- UNHRD. http://www.unhrd.org. (2011). Accessed 9 Aug 2011.
- Van Wassenhove L, Tomasini R. Coordinating disaster logistics in El Salvador using humanitarian supply management system (SUMA). Fontainebleau: INSEAD; 2003. Case 10/2003–5145.Google Scholar