System Identification and Displacement Profiles of Multi-Span Skewed Bridges with Seat Type Abutments
Skewed bridges are classified as irregular structures due to the geometry of the deck and bents. The evaluation of their dynamic response is challenging as it requires a combination of several modes of vibration. In this study, the results of ambient vibration tests performed on four bridges in British Columbia, Canada are used to identify the dynamic properties and the displacement profiles of multi-span skewed bridges with seat type abutments. The frequencies of vibration, the modes of vibrations and the modal dampings are identified using frequency and time domain techniques. In addition, the directionality in the transverse and longitudinal response for skewed bridges with different levels of lateral restraint and deck flexibility is discussed. This paper improves the understanding of the dynamic response of skewed bridges, in particular their lateral response to seismic loads. This understanding contributes to having a better assessment of the seismic demands that skewed structures will undergo and to the development of displacement based design methods for these structures.
KeywordsSkewed bridges Ambient vibration tests Displacement profiles Seat type abutments
This study was conducted with financial support from the Ministry of Transportation of British Columbia, Canada and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. Support provided by Professor Albert Ortiz from University of Medellin and the field testing team from the University of British Columbia is acknowledged with thanks.
- 1.American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) (2009) Guide specifications for LRFD seismic bridge design. AASHTOGoogle Scholar
- 3.Catacoli S, Ventura C, McDonald S (2012) Directionality in the transverse response of skewed multi-span bridges with integral abutments. In: Proceedings of the 30th IMAC, a conference on structural dynamics, doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-2413-0. Topics on the Dynamics of Civil Structures, Volume 1 Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series 2012, pp 139–143
- 4.Carvajal JC, Ventura CE, Huffman S (2009) Ambient vibration testing of multi-span bridges with integral deck-abutments. In: Proceedings of the IMAC-XXVII. February 9–12, 2009, OrlandoGoogle Scholar
- 8.Artemis Extractor Software (1999–2011) Structural vibrations solutions, vol 5.3. Artemis Extractor Software, DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- 9.TurekM, Ventura C (2005) Vibration testing of the Deltaport way bridge. In: Proceedings of the IMAC-XXIII, Orlando, January 31–February 3, 2005Google Scholar