How Linden Lab Built a Virtual World for Business and Education
With the release of Second Life in 2003, an eccentric group of gamers, entrepreneurs, and academics broke ground and surprised its developers by pushing usage model boundaries. Linden Lab, the creators of Second Life, made a series of decisions around user-created content and intellectual property law that turned the development of a virtual environment into the development of a virtual platform. The ability to exchange US dollars for the Linden dollar, the limited license object used to exchange virtual goods, would open up a new method of conducting online business. The ability to have a 3D space provided a teaching and development medium for daring educators. In this chapter we will discuss the early development decisions, whether intentional or reactionary, that supported education, internal development of businesses inside Second Life, and external businesses entry into Second Life. We will take a closer look at the notable examples in business and education that influenced development decisions and how organizational structure influenced business and education.
KeywordsTitan Marketing Stake Metaphor Malone
- Au, W. J. (2008). The making of second life: Notes from the new world (p. 274). New York: HarperCollins Publishers.Google Scholar
- Cheney, G. (1999). Values at work: Employee participation meets market pressure at Mondragon. Ithaca and London: ILR Press and Imprint of Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Collins, C. (2011). Interview transcripts with Chris Collins. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco), p. 15.Google Scholar
- Colosi, C. (2011). Interview transcripts with Christopher Colosi. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco).Google Scholar
- Ferlatte, M. (2011). Interview transcripts with Mark Ferlatte. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco), p. 6.Google Scholar
- Fisher, G. (2010). Interview transcripts with Glenn Fisher. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco), p. 14.Google Scholar
- Harper, E. (2011). Interview transcripts with Everett Harper. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco), p. 13.Google Scholar
- Harper, R. (2010). Interview transcripts with Robin Harper. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco), p. 17.Google Scholar
- Hock, D. (1999) Birth of the Chaoridic age. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.Google Scholar
- L’Amoreaux, C. (2011). Interview transcripts with Claudia L’Amoreaux. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco), p. 7.Google Scholar
- Linden, A. F. C. (2011). Interview transcripts from Anonymous Former/Current Linden. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco).Google Scholar
- Linden Lab (2004). Second Life officially opens digital world to college students for exploration and study of design and social communities. http://lindenlab.com/pressroom/releases/04_09_20. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Linden Lab (2006). Vision and mission: Tao of Linden Lab. internal Linden Lab Wiki, the official blog of Linden Lab. http://blog.secondlife.com/2006/07/25/the-tao-of-linden. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Linden Lab (2010). Second Life’s new leader: Rod Humble becomes CEO of Linden Lab. http://lindenlab.com/pressroom/releases/12_23_10. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Llewelyn, G. (2010). Linden Lab turns residential; OpenSim embraces business and education. http://gwynethllewelyn.net/2010/08/19/linden-lab-turns- residential-opensim-embraces-business-and-education. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Malaby, T. (2011). Interview transcripts with Thomas Malaby. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco).Google Scholar
- Malaby, T. M. (2009). Making virtual worlds: Linden Lab and Second Life. (p. 165). Ithaca, NY, USA and London, UK: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Malone, T. W. (2004). The future of work: How the new order of business will shape your organization, your management style, and your life. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Miller, J. (2007). Organization culture at Linden Lab. San Francisco: University of Southern California.Google Scholar
- Nino, T. (2008). The new Tao of Linden. http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/12/15/the-new-tao-of-linden. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Nino, T. (2009). Linden Lab launches Second Life enterprise beta, Second Life work marketplace to come. http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/11/04/linden-lab- launches-second-life-enterprise-beta-second-life-wor. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Nino, T. (2010). Linden Lab explains slashing education/non-profit discounts. http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/2010/10/05/linden-lab-explains-slashing-educationnon- profit-discounts. Retrieved: 12/15/2010.
- n.n. (2010). Linden Lab revises teen grid plan: 13–17 year olds coming to main grid (sorta). http://www.betterverse.org/2010/09/linden-lab-revises-teen-grid- plan-13-17-year-olds-coming-on-main-grid-sorta.html. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Ondrejka, C. (2010). Interview transcripts with Cory Ondrejka. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco), p. 8.Google Scholar
- Ondrejka, C. (2011). Some context on Linden management history. Interview done by J. K. Miller (San Francisco).Google Scholar
- Staff (2007). Wells Fargo expands online game for financial education stagecoach island teaches young adults about budgeting, saving, credit and investing. https://www.wellsfargo.com/press/20070111_StagecoachIsland. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Stephenson, N. (1992). Snow crash. USA: Bantam Books.Google Scholar
- Terangreal (2010). Second Life Wiki timeline. http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Terdiman, D. (2004). Fun in following the money. http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2004/05/63363?currentPage=all. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Torrone, P. (2011). Sony’s war on makers, hackers, and innovators. Make:technology on your time. http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/02/sonys-war-on-makers-hackers-and-innovators.html. Retrieved: 3/21/2011.
- Trompenaars, C. H. F. (1998). Riding the waves of culture: Understanding cultural diversity in global business. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Wallace, M. (2006). Mitch Kapor on the power of Second Life. http://www.3pointd.com/20060820/mitch-kapor-on-the-power-of-second-life. Retrieved: 3/21/2010.