Electrochemical Oxidation of PAHs in Aqueous Solution
In this work, oxidation of PAHs in aqueous solution was studied using Ti/SnO2 electrode. Electrochemical oxidation was performed at a current density of 0.33 mA/cm2 at initial pH 3, 6, and 9. Brush coating thermal decomposition method was used to coat SnO2 on titanium substrate. Surface morphology and characterization of coating material were studied using FESEM. GC–MS was used to quantify PAHs. PAHs containing 2–3 benzene rings were completely degraded in the presence of electrolyte (NaCl) at all pH condition. Total PAH removal was 87, 93, and 87 % at pH 3, 6, and 9, respectively. Higher current efficiency was shown using NaCl as electrolyte.
KeywordsChemical Oxygen Demand High Current Efficiency Molecular Chlorine PAHs Removal Instantaneous Current Efficiency
- Bouya, H., Errami, M., Salghi, R., Bazzi, L. H., Zarrouk, A., Al-Deyab, S. S., et al. (2012). Electrochemical degradation of cypermethrin pesticide on a SnO2 anode. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 7, 3453–3465.Google Scholar
- Mohajeri, S., Aziz, H. A., Isa, M. H., Zahed, M. A., Bashir, M. J. K., & Adlan, M. N. (2010). Application of the central composite design for condition optimization for semi-aerobic landfill leachate treatment using electrochemical oxidation. Water Science and Technology, 61(5), 1257–1266.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pakpahan, E. N., Isa, M. H., Kutty, S. R. M., Chantara, S., Wiriya, W., & Faye, I. (2012a). Comparison of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons emission from thermal treatment of petroleum sludge cake in the presence of different additives. Journal of Scientific Industrial Research, 17, 430–436.Google Scholar
- Pakpahan, E. N., Isa, M. H., Kutty, S. R. M., Chantara, S., & Wiriya, W. (2012b). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon removal from petroleum sludge cake using thermal treatment with additives. Environmental Technology, 34(3), 407–416.Google Scholar
- PHFS. (2009). Public health fact sheet. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs): health effects. Public health SA. www.health.sa.gov.au/pehs/environhealth-index.htm.
- Sun, Z.-Q., Lu, H.-Y., Ren, X.-B., Huang, W.-M., Dong, Y.-J., & Lin, H.-B. (2009). Performances of Ti/SnO2-Sb2O5 anodes prepared by brush coating thermal decomposition method. Acta Physico-Chimica Sinica, 25(7), 1385–1390.Google Scholar
- Yaqub, A., Ajab, H., Isa, M. H., Jusoh, H., Junaid, M., & Farooq, R. (2012). Effect of ultrasound and electrode material on electrochemical treatment of industrial wastewater. Journal of New Material Electrochemical Systems, 15(4), 289–292.Google Scholar