Systems Medicine: A New Model for Health Care
In 2003, Dr. Elias Zerhouni created the National Institutes of Health (NIH) roadmap and articulated an agenda to aggressively pursue a more integrated approach to use research discoveries to impact human health. Working groups focused on three major themes: New Pathways to Discovery, Research Teams of the Future, and Reengineering the Clinical Research Enterprise. The findings illustrated the need to develop science to decipher biological networks, and the need for broad-scale application of bioinformatics and computational methods to biological systems . In March 2007, the Department of Health and Human Services launched the Personalized Health Care Initiative (PHCI) with the aim to accelerate the development of personalized treatment strategies. The program focuses on high-throughput technologies and developing an infrastructure to promote electronic medical records .
KeywordsWhole Genome Sequencing Exome Sequencing Continue Medical Education Health Information Exchange System Medicine
The authors are grateful to Dr Edmund Pellegrino for his comments on the manuscript. The authors recognize support from grant W81XWH-09-1-0107 from the Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center, USAMRMC.
- 2.Services HaH. Personalized Health Care for Informed and Effective Choices. [cited 2011]; Available from: http://www.hhs.gov/myhealthcare/goals/index.html.
- 12.Wetterstrand K. DNA Sequencing Costs: Data from the NHGRI Large-Scale Genome Sequencing Program Available at: http://www.genome.gov/sequencingcosts. Accessed 11-27-2011.
- 20.Kohonen-Corish M, Weber TK, Lindblom A, Macrae F. Report of the combined meeting of the International Society for Gastrointestinal Hereditary Tumours, the Human Variome Project and the National Cancer Institute Colon Cancer Family Registry, Duesseldorf, Germany, 24 June 2009. Fam Cancer. 2010;9(4):705–11.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.NIH TNIoH. NIH Roadmap-National Centers for Biomedical Computing. 2011 [updated Nov 22, 2011; cited 2011 Nov 29]; Available from: http://www.bisti.nih.gov/ncbc/.
- 31.CDC. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs). Center for Disease Control and Prevention; 2010 [cited 2011]; Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html.
- 33.23andme. 2011 [cited 2011]; Available from: https://www.23andme.com/.
- 41.CDC. National diabetes fact sheet: national estimates and general information on diabetes and prediabetes in the United States, 2011. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2011.Google Scholar
- 51.Strawbridge RJ, Dupuis J, Prokopenko I, Barker A, Ahlqvist E, Rybin D, et al. Genome-wide association identifies nine common variants associated with fasting proinsulin levels and provides new insights into the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes. 2011;60(10):2624–34.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 54.Janipalli CS, Kumar MV, Vinay DG, Sandeep MN, Bhaskar S, Kulkarni SR, et al. Analysis of 32 common susceptibility genetic variants and their combined effect in predicting risk of Type 2 diabetes and related traits in Indians. Diabet Med 2012;29(1):121-127.Google Scholar