A Simulation Model of the Positioning Accuracy in the Multi-radar Foreign Object Debris Detection System
This chapter illustrates the method using multi-radar network for improving the positioning accuracy in Foreign Object Debris (FOD) radar detection system. To achieve the accuracy improvement, two or even more radars are applied to detect the same target to decrease the minimum detection zone and improve the positioning accuracy. Firstly, a mathematical model for the detection situation in FOD radar network is built, and thus this issue is reduced to an analytic geometry problem. Secondly, in analyzing the model, the minimum detection zone is found, whose largest feature size is calculated as the positioning accuracy. The simulation results of the positioning accuracy to the designated detection zone in double-radar and triple-radar systems are presented in figures. Finally, the conclusion that the positioning accuracy of the multi-radar FOD detection system can be improved with the increasing number of the radars is verified. After modifying the simulation algorithm, this data fusion method can be embedded in the hardware platform to improve the positioning accuracy of the multi-radar FOD detection system.
KeywordsDiagonal Line Linear Frequency Modulation Range Resolution Detection Zone Straight Line Equation
- 1.Clerk Maxwell J (1892) A treatise on electricity and magnetism, vol 2, 3rd edn. Clarendon, Oxford, pp 68–73 (Accident on 25 July 2000 at La Patte d’Oie in Gonesse (95) to the Concorde registered F-BTSC, operated by Air France, BEA Report translation, f-sc000725a, January 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Beasley P (2008) Advances in millimeter wave FMCW radar. In: Microwaves, radar and remote sensing symposium, pp 246–249Google Scholar
- 3.Massaloux Pierre, Maze-Merceur Genevieve, Thiriot Benjamin, Gruszka Didier (2012). RCS measurement accuracy in the U/VHF range: diagnosis for target positioning error and improvement of the procedure. In: 2012 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), pp. 3491–3494Google Scholar
- 4.Fickenscher T, Herschel R, Holters M, Gupta A, Hinz J (2010) Improved range resolution for FMCW HF surface wave radar. In: 2010 I.E. International conference on wireless information technology and systems (ICWITS), pp 1–4Google Scholar
- 5.S. Xu, J.Y. Zhao, J.D. Suo (2009) Application of radar signal processing system based on DSP in the VTS. In: 2nd International congress on image and signal processing, 2009. CISP ‘09, pp 1–4Google Scholar