Channel Reduction by Cultural-Based Multi-objective Particle Swarm Optimization Based on Filter Bank in Brain–Computer Interfaces
Applying many electrodes is undesirable for real-life brain–computer interface (BCI) application since the recording preparation can be troublesome and time-consuming. This chapter presented a novel channel selection method, named cultural-based multi-objective particle swarm optimization (CMOPSO) based on filter bank, which introduced a cultural framework to adapt the personalized flight parameters of the mutated particles. A filter bank was designed using a coefficient decimation (CD) technology. The broad frequency band (8–30 Hz) is divided into ten subbands with width 4 Hz and overlapping 2 Hz, and the channel selection algorithm was applied to each subband. The optimal channels were chosen from the best channels derived from each subband. The algorithm was tested on five four-class data sets and the experimental results showed that the approach outperforms the broad band approach in selecting a smaller subset of channels without the sacrifice of classification accuracy.
This study was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (# 60965004).
- 6.Chen K, Wei Q, Ma Y (2010) An unweigted exhaustive diagonalization based multi-class common spatial pattern algorithm in brain-computer interfaces. In: Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on information engineering and computer science, vol 1, Wuhan, China, pp 206–210Google Scholar
- 7.Mahesh R, Vinod AP (2008) Coefficient decimation approach for realizing reconfigurable finite impulse response filters. In: Proceedings of IEEE ISCAS, pp 81–84Google Scholar
- 8.Kennedy J, Eberhart RC (1995) Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of international joint conference on neural networks, Perth, Australia, pp 1942–1948Google Scholar
- 9.Fan LSS and Chang JM (2007) A modified particle swarm optimizer using an adaptive dynamic weigh scheme. In: Proceedings of international conference on digital human modeling, Beijing, China, pp 56–65Google Scholar
- 10.Jun L, Meichun L (2008) Common spatial pattern and particle swarm optimization for channel selection in BCI. In: Proceedings of the 3rd international conference on innovative computing information and control (ICICIC ’08), pp 457–457Google Scholar