Projectors on the Generalized Eigenspaces for Partial Differential Equations with Time Delay
To study the nonlinear dynamics, such as Hopf bifurcation, of partial differential equations with delay, one needs to consider the characteristic equation associated to the linearized equation and to determine the distribution of the eigenvalues; that is, to study the spectrum of the linear operator. In this paper we study the projectors on the generalized eigenspaces associated to some eigenvalues for linear partial differential equations with delay. We first rewrite partial differential equations with delay as non-densely defined semilinear Cauchy problems, then obtain formulas for the integrated solutions of the semilinear Cauchy problems with non-dense domain by using integrated semigroup theory, from which we finally derive explicit formulas for the projectors on the generalized eigenspaces associated to some eigenvalues. As examples, we apply the obtained results to study a reaction-diffusion equation with delay and an age-structured model with delay.
KeywordsCauchy Problem Hopf Bifurcation Bounded Linear Operator Integrate Solution Simple Eigenvalue
Research of S. Ruan was partially supported by NSF grant DMS-1022728.
- 9.O. Arino, E. Sánchez, A theory of linear delay differential equations in infinite dimensional spaces, in Delay Differential Equations with Application, ed. by O. Arino, M. Hbid and E. Ait Dads. NATO Science Series II: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, Vol 205 (Springer, Berlin, 2006), pp. 287–348Google Scholar
- 10.H. Brezis, Analyse Fonctionnelle (Dunod, Paris, 2005)Google Scholar
- 14.O. Diekmann, S.A. van Gils, S.M. Verduyn Lunel, H.-O. Walther, Delay Equations, Function-, Complex-, and Nonlinear Analyiss (Springer, New York, 1995)Google Scholar
- 17.K. Ezzinbi, M. Adimy, The basic theory of abstract semilinear functional differential equations with non-dense domain, in Delay Differential Equations with Application, ed. by O. Arino, M. Hbid and E. Ait Dads. NATO Science Series II: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, Vol 205 (Springer, Berlin, 2006), pp. 349–400Google Scholar
- 23.B.D. Hassard, N.D. Kazarinoff, Y.-H. Wan, Theory and Applications of Hopf Bifurcaton. London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series, vol 41 (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1981)Google Scholar
- 25.F. Kappel, Linear autonomous functional differential equations, in Delay Differential Equations with Application, ed. by O. Arino, M. Hbid and E. Ait Dads. NATO Science Series II: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, vol. 205 (Springer, Berlin, 2006), pp. 41–134Google Scholar
- 29.Z. Liu, P. Magal, S. Ruan, J. Wu, Normal forms for semilinear equations with non-dense domain, Part I: Computation of the reduced system. (submitted)Google Scholar
- 35.P. Magal, S. Ruan, Center manifold theorem for semilinear equations with non-dense domain and applications to Hopf bifurcations in age structured models. Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 202(951), (2009)Google Scholar
- 47.H.R. Thieme, Quasi-compact semigroups via bounded perturbation, in Advances in Mathematical Population Dynamics—Molecules, Cells and Man. Series in Mathematical Biology and Medicine, vol. 6 (World Sci. Publishing, River Edge, NJ, 1997), pp. 691–711Google Scholar
- 50.S.M. Verduyn Lunel, Spectral theory for delay equations, in Systems, Approximation, Singular Integral Operators, and Related Topics, ed. by A.A. Borichev, N.K. Nikolski. Operator Theory: Advances and Applications, Vol 129 (Birkhäuser, 2001), pp. 465–508Google Scholar