Uncertainty Assessment of DIC Under Heterogeneous Strain States
In this contribution, a series of 2D-DIC numerical experiments are carried out on tensile specimens. Three materials, i.e. steel DC06, steel DX54D+Z, and aluminium alloy AA6016 are involved in the investigation, and cut into three different geometries, i.e. standard and two complex designs. Initial images are taken from the real specimens, which are all painted manually with random speckle patterns. The images are then deformed by the imposed fields obtained from the finite element analysis (FEA). Homogeneous strain state and heterogeneous strain state are achieved by applying uni-axial tension on two ends of the standard and complex specimens in FEA. The strain states are characterized by different material properties and geometries of the specimens. The influence of the strain states on the accuracy and the precision of DIC is studied.
- 4.Lamkanfi E, Van Paepegem W, Degrieck J, Ramault C, Makris A, Van Hemelrijck D (2010) Strain distribution in cruciform specimens subjected to biaxial loading conditions. Part 1: two-dimensional versus three-dimensional finite element model. Polym Test 29(1):7–13Google Scholar
- 6.Wang Y, Lava P, Comppieters S, De Strycker M, Van Houtte P, Debruyne D, Investigation of the uncertainty of DIC under Heterogeneous strain states with numerical tests, Strain. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-1305.2012.00840.x
- 7.Vendroux G, Knauss WG (1998) Submicron deformation field measurements: part2. Improved digital image correlation. Exp Mech 38(2):86–92Google Scholar
- 16.Abaqus, SIMULIA, Dassault systmes S.A. http://www.3ds.com
- 18.ImageJ, Image processing and analysis in Java. http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/index.html