Microsurgery Training: What Should a Resident Know? Should All Microsurgeons be Fellowship Trained?
Surgery for male infertility has evolved into a highly specialized endeavor within the specialty of Urology. Most procedures in this field, including vasectomy reversal, varicocele ligation, and sperm retrieval are performed with microsurgery. In some Urology residency programs, training in male infertility may not be viewed as a priority and many Urology departments do not have a faculty member dedicated to this field. As a result, there is a perception among male infertility specialists that many urologists’ training is deficient in this area. This chapter outlines the need and scope of microsurgical training in residency and reviews the impact of fellowship training on the practice of urologic microsurgery.
KeywordsMicrosurgery Training Fellowship Education Residency
- 1.Middleton RG, Belker AM. Macrosurgery or microsurgery for vasovasostomy? Contemp Urol. 1995; 55–60.Google Scholar
- 9.Grober ED, Elterman DS, Jewett MAS. Fellow or foe: the impact of fellowship training programs on the education of Canadian urology residents. Can Urol Assoc J. 2008;2:1–38.Google Scholar
- 12.Endourological Society. Recognized fellowship programs. http://www.endourology.org/fellowship/fellowship.php. Accessed 17 July 2012.
- 13.Society of Pediatric Urology. Participating fellowship programs. http://www.spuonline.org/fellowships_pp.cgi. Accessed 17 July 2012.
- 14.Society of Urologic Oncology. Approved fellowship programs. http://suonet.org/fellowships/default.aspx. Accessed 17 July 2012.
- 22.American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Fellowship opportunities. http://www.asrm.org/detail.aspx?id=926. Accessed 17 July 2012.
- 23.Williams IV DH, Karpman E, Grober ED, Schrepferman CG, Crain DS, Chuang WW, Shin D, Khera M, Kuang W, Tanrikut C. Early vasectomy reversal experience and outcomes of fellowship-trained microsurgeons. J Urol. 2009;181:4–729.Google Scholar