Wavelet Analysis of ECG Signals
- 1.4k Downloads
This study evaluated the effectiveness of different types of wavelets and thresholds to process electrocardiograms. An electrocardiogram, or ECG, shows the electrical activity in the heart and can be used to detect abnormalities. The first process used term-by-term thresholding to denoise ECGs. The second process denoised and compressed ECGs using global thresholding. The effectiveness was determined by using the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and the percentage root mean square difference (PRD).
KeywordsDiscrete Wavelet Detail Coefficient Soft Thresholding Nonstationary Signal Hard Thresholding
This research was conducted as part of the Central Michigan University LURE program during 2009–2011 and was supported by NSF-REU grant # 0606-36528. The authors are grateful for the support and would like to thank the anonymous referees’ helpful comments as well.
- 1.Ahmaidi S, Bereksi-Reguig F, Chouakri SA, Fokapu O (2005) Wavelet denoising of the electrocardiogram signal based on the corrupted noise estimation. Comput Cardiol 32: 1021–1024Google Scholar
- 4.Davis D (2005) Quick and accurate 12-lead ECG interpretation, 4th edn. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins Philadelphia, PAGoogle Scholar
- 7.Filho RG, Kozakevivius A, Nunes RC, Rodrigues CR Adaptive ECG filtering and QRS detection using orthogonal wavelet transformation. Retrieved July 1, 2010 from http://www.uninova.pt/~jmf/Alice
- 8.Goldberger AL, Amaral LAN, Glass L, Hausdorff JM, Ivanov PCh, Mark RG, Mietus JE, Moody GB, Peng CK, Stanley HE (2000) PhysioBank, PhysioToolkit, and PhysioNet: components of a new research resource for complex physiologic signals. Circulation 101(23):e215-e220 [Circulation Electronic Pages; http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/101/23/e215].
- 10.Mallat Stephane (2008) A wavelet tour of signal processing, 3rd edn. Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- 11.MATLAB (Version 18.104.22.1687(R2009a)) [Computer software], (February 12, 2009), The MathWorks.Google Scholar
- 13.Strang G, Nguyen T (1997) Wavelets and filter banks. Wellesley-Cambridge Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar