Top Ten Things to Know About Space Solar Power
This is the frequently asked questions (FAQ) chapter, the place you can go for answers to the top ten questions asked about space-based solar power—questions such as, “Why are solar power satellites needed, are they feasible and when will we see them?”
KeywordsNuclear Power Plant Wind Turbine Wind Power Power Grid Solar Power
- Ayma, E. M., et al. 2011. The Rights of Nature: The Case for a Universal Declaration of the Rights of Mother Earth. The Council of Canadians (Ottawa), Fundacion Pachamama (Quito) and Global Exchange (San Francisco).Google Scholar
- Belvin, W. K., J. T. Dorsey, & J. J. Watson. 2010. Solar power satellite development: Advances in modularity and mechanical systems. Online Journal of Space Communication. http://spacejournal.ohio.edu/issue16/belvin.html. Accessed 1 May 2011. This article was adapted from a paper delivered to the International Symposium on Solar Energy from Space, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, September 8–10, 2009.
- Bugg-Levine, A. 2011. Impact investing: Harnessing capital markets to drive development at scale. Rockefeller Foundation in New York. http://beyondprofit.com/. Accessed 19 July 2011.
- Gopalaswami, R. 2010. Sustaining India’s economic growth. Online Journal of Space Communication. http://spacejournal.ohio.edu/issue16/gopal.html. Accessed 20 May 2011.
- Howell, J. T., M. J. O’Neill, & J. C. Mankins. 2006. High voltage array ground test for direct drive solar electric propulsion. Acta Astronautica 59/1-5: 206–215. This paper was adapted from a presentation given at the 56th International Astronautical Congress, Fukuoka, Japan. October 17–21, 2005.Google Scholar
- Ji, G., H. Xinbin, & W. Li. 2010. Solar power satellites research in China. Online Journal of Space Communication. http://spacejournal.ohio.edu/issue16/ji.html. Accessed 15 June 2011.
- Klotz, I. 2010. NASA finds cause of Voyager 2 glitch. Discovery News, May 18. http://news.discovery.com/space/nasa_finds_cause_of_voyager_glitch.html. Accessed 1 July 2011.
- Kollipara, A. 2009. Economics of space solar power. Presentation given at the International Space Development Conference, Orlando FL, May 2009.Google Scholar
- Mankins, J. 1997. A fresh look at space solar power: New architectures, concepts and technologies. 38th International Astronautical Federation, NASA, 1997. IAF 97R.2.o3.Google Scholar
- Nansen, R. 1995. Sun power: The global solution for the coming energy crisis. Seattle WA: Ocean Press.Google Scholar
- Porter, A. & C. Clover, Ten UK nuclear power stations by 2020. The Telegraph, 10 January 2008. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/.
- Poynter, M. & A. L. Lane. 1984. Voyager: The Story of a Space Mission. New York: Atheneum.Google Scholar
- Preble, D. 2011. Answers to space solar power questions. Personal communication with the author, 3 March 2011.Google Scholar
- Prince Charles. 2011. The Future of Food. The Land Institute. Salina, Kansas, Summer 2011.Google Scholar
- Sato, S. & Y. Okada. 2009. Mitsubishi, IHI to join $21 billion space solar project. Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com. Accessed 15 September 2009.
- Strickland, J. Space solar vs. base load ground solar and wind power. Online Journal of Space Communication. Winter 2010. www.spacejournal.org.
- Strickland, J. 2011. Answers to space solar power questions. Personal communication with the author, March 1, 2011.Google Scholar
- U. S. Energy Information Administration. 2010a. Updated capital cost estimates for electricity generation plants. http://www.eia.gov/oiaf/beck_plantcosts/. Accessed 1 July 2011.
- U. S. Energy Information Administration. 2010b. World energy demand and economic outlook. http://www.eia.gov/oiaf/ieo/world.html. Accessed 18 June 2011.
- Werbos, P. 2011. Answers to space solar power questions. Personal communication with the author, March 1, 2011.Google Scholar
- World Summit on the Information Society. 2003. Declaration of principles. http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs/geneva/official/dop.html. Accessed 10 June 2011.