Roll Dynamics and Rollover Prevention
Vehicle rollovers account for a significant fraction of highway traffic fatalities. While only 3% of vehicle accidents result in rollovers, 33% of all fatalities have vehicle rollover as a contributing factor (NHTSA, 2011). Hence there is significant research being conducted on development of rollover prevention technologies (Liu, et al., 1997, Odenthal, et al., 1999, Chen and Peng, 2001, Carlson and Gerdes, 2003, Liebemann, et al., 2004, Yoon, etal., 2007, Piyabongkarn, et al., 2010).
KeywordsRoll Angle Lateral Acceleration Tire Force Unsprung Mass Electronic Stability Control
- Boyd, P.L., “NHTSA’s NCAP Rollover Resistance Rating System,” Paper # 05-0450, Proceedings - 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Washington, D.C., June 6-9, 2005, Available on NHTSA web site, http://www-nrd.nhtsa.gov/pdf/esv/esv19/05-0450-O.pdf.
- Carlson, C.R. and Gerdes, J.C., “Optimal Rollover Prevention with Steer by Wire and Differential Braking,” Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, pp. 345–355, November, 2003.Google Scholar
- Forkenbrock, G.J., Garrott, W.R., Heitz, M. and O’Harra, B.C., “Experimental Examination of J-Turn and Fishhook Maneuver that may Induce On-Road Untripped Light Vehicle Rollover,” SAE Paper, No. 2003-01-1008, 2003.Google Scholar
- Forkenbrock, G.J., Garrott, W.R., Heitz, M. and O’Harra, B.C., “A Comprehensive Experimental Examination of Test Maneuvers that May Induce On-Road, Untripped Light Vehicle Rollover – Phase IV of NHTSA’s Light Vehicle Rollover Research Program,” NHTSA Technical Report, DOT HS 809 513, October 2002.Google Scholar
- Lew, J.Y., Piyabongkarn, D. and Grogg, J.A., “Minimizing Dynamic Rollover Propensity with Electronic Limited Slip Differentials,” SAE Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems, pp. 1183–1190, SAE book number V115-6, 2006.Google Scholar
- Liebemann, E.K., Meder, K., Schuh, J. and Nenninger, G., “Safety and Performance Enhancement: The Bosch Electronic Stability Control (ESP),” SAE Paper, No. 2004-21-0060, 2004.Google Scholar
- Liu, P.J., Rakheja, S. and Ahmed, A.K.W., “Detection of Dynamic Roll Instability of Heavy vehicles for Open-Loop Rollover Control,” SAE Paper, No. 973263.Google Scholar
- NHTSA, USDOT, Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx, accessed June 2011.
- Odenthal, D., Bunte, T. and Ackermann, J., “Nonlinear Steering and Braking Control for Vehicle Rollover Avoidance,” Proceedings of the European Control Conference, 1999.Google Scholar
- Rajamani, R., Piyabongkarn, D., Tsourapas, V. and Lew, J.Y., “Real-Time Estimation of Roll Angle CG Height for Active Rollover Prevention Applications,” Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 2009.Google Scholar
- Takano, S. and Nagai, M., “Dynamic Control of Large Vehicles for Rollover Prevention,” pp. 85–89, Proceedings of IEEE IVEC, 2001.Google Scholar
- Transportation Research Board (TRB), the National Academies, Special Report 265, “The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Rating System for Rollover Resistance: An Assessment,” 2002.Google Scholar