Part of the Use R! book series (USE R)
- 15k Downloads
Simulation provides a straightforward way of approximating probabilities. We illustrate the use of two R functions in simulating some famous probability problems.
KeywordsSimulation Experiment Binary Sequence Random Permutation Table Function Sample Function
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Albert, J. (2009), Bayesian Computation with R, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 3.Ashenfelter, O. and Krueger, A. (1994), “Estimates of the economic return to schooling from a new sample of twins", The American Economic Review, 84, 1157–1173.Google Scholar
- 4.Bolstad, W. (2007), Introduction to Bayesian Statistics, Wiley-Interscience.Google Scholar
- 5.Box, G. E. P., Hunter W. G. and Hunter J. S. (1978), Statistics for Experimenters: An Introduction to Design, Data Analysis, and Model Building, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- 7.Canty, A. and Ripley. B. (2010), boot: Bootstrap R Functions, R package version 1.2–43.Google Scholar
- 8.Casella, G., and George, E. (1992), “Explaining the Gibbs sampler", The American Statistician, 46, 167–174.Google Scholar
- 9.Chib, S., and Greenberg, E. (1995), “Understanding the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm", The American Statistician, 49, 327–335.Google Scholar
- 12.DASL: The Data and Story Library, http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/DASL/.
- 13.Davison, A. C. and Hinkley, D. V. (1997), Bootstrap Methods and Their Applications. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- 14.Efron, B. and Tibshirani, R. J. (1993), An Introduction to the Bootstrap, Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL.Google Scholar
- 15.Everitt, B. S., Landau, S., And Leese, M. (2001), Cluster Analysis, 4th edition, Oxford University Press, Inc. New York.Google Scholar
- 16.Faraway, J. (2002), “Practical regression and ANOVA Using R", Contributed documentation in PDF format available at http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Faraway-PRA.pdf.
- 18.Fienberg, S. E. (1971), “Randomization and social affairs: The 1970 draft lottery", Science, 171, 255–261.Google Scholar
- 19.Gelman, A., Carlin, J., Stern, H. and Rubin, D. (2003), Bayesian Data Analysis, second edition, Chapman and Hall, New York.Google Scholar
- 20.Gentle, J. E. (2003), Random Number Generation and Monte Carlo Methods, second edition, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 21.Hand D. J., Daly F., Lunn A. D., McConway K. J., Ostrowski E. (1994), A Handbook of Small Data Sets, Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- 22.Hoaglin, D., Mosteller, F., and Tukey, J. (2000), Understanding Robust and Exploratory Data Analysis, Wiley-Interscience.Google Scholar
- 23.Hoff, P. (2009), A First Course in Bayesian Statistics, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 24.Hogg, R. and Klugman, S. (1984), Loss Distributions, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- 25.Hollander. M. and Wolfe, D. (1999), Nonparametric Statistical Methods, second edition, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- 26.Hornik, K (2009). R FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions on R, Version 2.13.2011-04-07, http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html.
- 28.Koopmans, L. (1987), Introduction to Contemporary Statistical Methods, Duxbury Press.Google Scholar
- 29.Labby, Z. (2009), “Weldon’s dice, automated” Chance, 22, 258–264.Google Scholar
- 30.Larsen, R. J. and Marx, M. L. (2006), An Introduction to Mathematical Statistics and Its Applications, 4th edition, Pearson Prentice Hall, Saddle River, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- 31.Leisch, F. (2007), bootstrap: Functions for the Book “An Introduction to the Bootstrap", R package version 1.0-22.Google Scholar
- 32.Meyer, D., Zeileis, A., and Hornik, K. (2010), vcd: Visualizing Categorical Data, R package version 1.2-9.Google Scholar
- 33.Montgomery, D. G. (2001), Design and Analysis of Experiments, 5th edition., Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- 34.Moore, G. (1965), “Cramming more components onto integrated circuits", Electronics Magazine, April, 114–117.Google Scholar
- 35.Mosteller, F. (2010), The Pleasures of Statistics, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 36.Mosteller, F. and Wallace, D. L. (1984), Applied Bayesian and Classical Inference: The Case of the Federalist Papers, Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- 37.Murrell, P. (2006), R Graphics, Chapman and Hall, Boca Raton, Florida.Google Scholar
- 38.OzDASL, Australian Data and Story Library, http://www.statsci.org/data/index.html.
- 40.R Development Core Team (2011), “R: A language and environment for statistical computing," R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria, http://www.R-project.org/.
- 41.The R Development Core Team (2011), “R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing, Reference Index.” Version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)Google Scholar
- 42.Ross, S. (2007), Introduction to Probability Models, 9th edition, Academic Press, Burlington, MA.Google Scholar
- 43.Sarkar, D. (2008), Lattice: Multivariate Data Visualization with R, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 45.Snell, L. (1988), Introduction to Probability, Random House, New York.Google Scholar
- 46.Starr, N. (1997), Nonrandom risk: the 1970 draft lottery. Journal of Statistics Education, 5, http://www.amstat.org/publications/jse/v5n2/datasets.starr.html
- 47.Tukey, J. (1977), Exploratory Data Analysis, Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- 48.“Campaign 2004: Time-tested formulas suggest both Bush and Kerry will win on Nov. 2", USA Today, http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-06-23-bush-kerry-cover_x.htm.
- 49.Venables, W. N., Smith, D. M. and the R Development Core Team (2011). “An Introduction to R”, Version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13).Google Scholar
- 50.Venables, W. N. and Ripley, B. D. (2002), Modern Applied Statistics with S, 4th edition. Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 51.Verzani, J. (2010), UsingR: Data sets for the text Using R for Introductory Statistics, R package version 0.1-13.Google Scholar
- 52.Wickham, H. (2009), ggplot2: Elegant Graphics for Data Analysis, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 53.The Washington Post (2007) “Heads and Shoulders above the Rest”, http://blog.washingtonpost.com/44/2007/10/11/head_and_shoulders_above.html.
- 54.Wikipedia, “Heights of Presidents of the United States and presidential candidates”, retrieved June 28, 2011.Google Scholar
- 55.Wilkinson, L. (2005), The Grammar of Graphics, second edition, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 56.Willerman, L., Schultz, R., Rutledge, J. N., and Bigler, E. (1991), “In vivo brain size and intelligence", Intelligence, 15, 223–228.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012