An Exact Algorithm for the Single-Machine Earliness–Tardiness Scheduling Problem
This paper introduces our exact algorithm for the single-machine total weighted earliness–tardiness scheduling problem, which is based on the Successive Sublimation Dynamic Programming (SSDP) method. This algorithm starts from a Lagrangian relaxation of the original problem and then constraints are successively added to it until the gap between lower and upper bounds becomes zero. The relaxations are solved by dynamic programming, and unnecessary dynamic programming states are eliminated in the course of the algorithm to suppress the increase of states caused by the addition of constraints. This paper explains the methods employed in our algorithm to construct the Lagrangian relaxations, to eliminate states and to compute an upper bound together with some other improvements. Then, numerical results for known benchmark instances are given to show the effectiveness of our algorithm.
This work is partially supported by Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) 19760273, from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) Japan.
- 4.Christofides, N., Mingozzi A, Toth P.: State-space relaxation procedures for the computation of bounds to routing problems. Networks 11, 145–164 (1981)Google Scholar
- 7.Detienne, B., Pinson, É., Rivreau., D.: Lagrangian domain reductions for the single machine earliness-tardiness problem with release dates, European Journal of Operational Research 201, 45–54 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Dyer, M.E, Wolsey, L.A.: Formulating the single-machine sequencing problem with release dates as a mixed integer problem. Discrete Applied Mathematics 26, 255–270 (1990)Google Scholar
- 11.Graham, R.L., Lawler, E.L., Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G.: Optimization and approximation in deterministic sequencing and scheduling: A survey. Annals of Discrete Mathematics 5, 287–326 (1979)Google Scholar
- 14.Ibaraki, T.: Enumerative approaches to combinatorial optimization. Annals of Operations Research 10 and 11 (1987)Google Scholar
- 18.Lenstra, J.K, Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G. and Brucker, P.: Complexity of machine scheduling problems. Annals of Discrete Mathematics 1, 343–362 (1977)Google Scholar
- 29.Tanaka, S., Fujikuma, S.: An efficient exact algorithm for general single-machine scheduling with machine idle time. 4th IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE CASE 2008), 371–376 (2008)Google Scholar
- 30.Tanaka, S., Fujikuma, S.: A dynamic-programming-based exact algorithm for single-machine scheduling with machine idle time. Journal of Scheduling, available online. DOI: 10.1007/s10951-011-0242-0Google Scholar