Asian Blepharoplasty: Anatomy and Surgical Techniques
There is a keen interest in aesthetic eyelid surgery within the Asian population. Upper eyelid blepharoplasty is the most commonly performed aesthetic procedure among affluent Asians [1–3]. The vast majority of patients desire the formation of an upper lid crease, or a “double eyelid.” This procedure has been given various names such as “double eyelid procedure,” “Oriental blepharoplasty,” “lid crease procedure,” and “Asian blepharoplasty.” The term “Asian blepharoplasty” is preferable because this includes the various ethnic groups inhabiting the eastern hemisphere.
KeywordsAsian Patient Suture Technique Orbital Septum Superior Sulcus Tarsal Plate
- 2.Chashi K. The double eyelid operation using electrocautery. Jpn Rev Clin Ophthalmol. 1951;46:723.Google Scholar
- 3.AAFPRS Membership Study. 2009. http://www.aafprs.org/media/stats_polls/m_stats.html. Accessed 19 July 2010.
- 4.Chen WPD. Upper blepharoplasty in the Asian patient. In: Fagien S, editor. Putterman’s cosmetic oculoplastic surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.Chen WPD. Asian blepharoplasty and the eyelid crease. Philadelphia: Butterworth-Heinemann; 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.Park J, Toriumi D. Asian facial cosmetic surgery. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2008.Google Scholar
- 13.Stasior OG, Ballitch HA. Ptosis repair in aesthetic blepharoplasty. Clin Plast Surg. 1993;20(2):247.Google Scholar
- 14.Mikamo K. A technique in the double eyelid operation. J Chugaishinpo. 1896.Google Scholar
- 16.Uchida K. The Uchida method for the double-eyelid operation in 1,523 cases. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 1926;30:593.Google Scholar
- 22.Weingarten CZ. Blepharoplasty in the oriental eye. Trans Am Acad Ophthalmol Otol. 1976;82:442.Google Scholar
- 23.Yang PY. Double eyelid operation by the twisted needle and compressive suturing technique. Chin J Plast Surg Burn. 1987;3:191.Google Scholar
- 24.Maruo M. Plastic construction of a double-eyelid. Jpn Rev Clin Ophthalmol. 1929;24:393.Google Scholar
- 30.Dortzbach RK, editor. Ophthalmic plastic surgery: prevention and management of complications. New York: Raven Press; 1994.Google Scholar