Base-Calling for Bioinformaticians
High-throughput platforms execute billions of simultaneous sequencing reactions. Base-calling is the process of decoding the output signals of these reactions into sequence reads. In this chapter, we detail the facets of base-calling using the perspective of signal communication. We primarily focus on the Illumina high-throughput sequencing platform and review different third-party base-calling implementations.
KeywordsDinucleotide Harness Demultiplexing
The authors would like to thank Fabian Menges, Giuseppe Narzisi, and Bud Mishra for sharing their early TotalReCaller results, for Dan Valente for formulating the unified distortion model, and for Dina Esposito for useful comments on the chapter. Yaniv Erlich is an Andria and Paul Heafy family fellow.
- Erlich Y, Mitra PP, delaBastide M, McCombie WR, Hannon GJ. 2008. Alta-Cyclic: a self-optimizing base caller for next-generation sequencing. Nat Methods 5(8): 679–682.Google Scholar
- Ewing B, Green P. 1998. Base-calling of automated sequencer traces using Phred II error probabilities. Genome Res 8(3): 186–194.Google Scholar
- Ewing B, Hillier L, Wendl MC, Green P. 1998. Base-calling of automated sequencer traces using phred. I. Accuracy assessment. Genome Res 8(3): 175–185.Google Scholar
- Ledergerber C, Dessimoz C. 2011. Base-calling for next-generation sequencing platforms. Brief Bioinform.Google Scholar
- Shenoi BA. 2006. Introduction to digital signal processing and filter design. Wiley ; John Wiley [distributor], Hoboken, NJ.Google Scholar
- Sklar LA. 2005. Flow cytometry for biotechnology. Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Wu X, Ding L, Li Z, Zhang Y, Liu X, Wang L. 2010. Determination of the migration of bisphenol diglycidyl ethers from food contact materials by high performance chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry coupled with multi-walled carbon nanotubes solid phase extraction. Se Pu 28(11): 1094–1098.PubMedGoogle Scholar