Autism Spectrum Disorders: Information for Pediatricians Supporting Families of Young Children on the Spectrum
- 5.6k Downloads
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder affecting in US 1 in 110 individuals.1 As increasingly younger children are receiving ASD diagnoses, many pediatricians are now faced with the unique needs of parents and other caregivers of newly diagnosed toddlers and young children. This chapter provides an overview of ASD designed to offer information and resources to pediatricians that could, in turn, be provided to families of children newly diagnosed with ASD.
KeywordsAutism Spectrum Disorder Autism Spectrum Disorder Neurodegenerative Disease Joint Attention Communication Disorder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th edn. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association 1994.Google Scholar
- 15.LeCouteur A, Lord C, Rutter M. The Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services 2003.Google Scholar
- 17.American Psychiatric Association. Proposed revisions: Autistic disorder. Retrieved online September 9, 2010 from: http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=94.Google Scholar
- 20.Sigman M, Ruskin E. Continuity and change in the social competence of children with autism, Down syndrome and developmental delays. Monogr Soc Res Child Dev 1999; 64.Google Scholar
- 21.Filipek PA, Accardo PJ, Ashwal S et al. Practice parameter: Screening and diagnosis of autism: Report of the quality standards subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Child Neurology Society. Neurology 2007; 55:468–479.Google Scholar
- 28.National Research Council. Educating children with autism. Washington, DC: National Academy Press 2001.Google Scholar
- 31.Sussman F. More than words: Helping parents promote communication and social skills in children with autism spectrum disorders. Toronto, ON: The Hanen Centre 1999.Google Scholar
- 32.Kasari C, Gulsrud AC, Wong C et al. Randomized controlled caregiver mediated joint engagement intervention for toddlers with autism. J Autism Dev Disord 2010 Doi: 10.1007/s10803-010-0955-5Google Scholar
- 33.Minjarez MB, Williams SE, Mercier EM et al. Pivotal response group treatment program for parents of children with autism. J Autism Dev Disord 2010. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1007/s10803-010-1027-6Google Scholar
- 41.Mackintosh VH, Myers BJ, Goin-Kochel RP. Sources of information and support used by parents of children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal on Developmental Disabilities 2005; 12:41–52.Google Scholar
- 42.Patterson SY, Smith V. Patterns of parent-child interaction: The varied impact of the More Than Words program on the natural language learning environment of toddlers with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Submitted paper.Google Scholar