A New Procedure for Measuring Residual Stresses in Electron Beam Welds Using the Deep Hole Drilling Technique
Residual stress measurements in a thick cylindrical steel electron beam (EB) welded sample are described. This is a particularly challenging problem because the residual stresses are distributed in a very narrow region, in and adjacent to the EB weld, when compared to more conventional welding methods. Several variations of the deep hole drilling (DHD) method were applied, including the original conventional method, an incremental approach and a newly developed over-coring method. It is demonstrated that the over-coring method can be used just as effectively as the more difficult incremental method.
KeywordsResidual stress Deep hole drilling Plasticity Over-coring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kingston, E., D.J. Smith, G. Zheng, C. Gill, and P. Hurrell. MEASUREMENT OF RESIDUAL STRESSES IN THICK SECTION STEEL ELECTRON BEAM WELDS. in Proceedings of the ASME 2010 Pressure Vessels and Piping Division Conference. 2010. Bellevue, Washington, USA: Proceedings of the ASME 2010 Pressure Vessels and Piping Division Conference.Google Scholar
- 3.Leggatt, R.H., D.J. Smith, and F. S and Faure, Development and experimental validation of the deep hole method for residual stress measurement. Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, 1996. 31(No 3): p. 177–186.Google Scholar
- 4.Granada-Garcia, A.A., D. George, and D.J. Smith. Assessment of Distortions in the Deep Hole Technique for Measuring Residual Stresses. in 11th Exp Mech Conference. 1998. Oxford, UK.Google Scholar
- 5.Kingston, E.K., D. Stefanescu, A.E. Mahmoudi, C.E. Truman, and D.J. Smith, Novel applications of the deep-hole drilling technique for measuring through-thickness residual stress distributions. Journal of ASTM International, 2006. 3(4): p. Paper ID JAI12568.Google Scholar
- 7.Hossain, S., E. Kingston, C. Truman, and D. Smith. Finite element validation of the over-coring deep-hole drilling technique. in The 2011 International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics: Integrating Simulation and Experimentation for Validation (ISEV). 2011.Google Scholar
- 8.Bonner, N.W., Measurement of Residual Stresses in Thick Section Welds, in Mechanical Engineering. 1996, University of Bristol: Bristol, UK.Google Scholar