Ultrasonic Tomography for Differential Thermography
This paper describes work in progress in the study of ultrasound computer aided tomography (UCAT) and its application to differential thermography. There are many situations in which it is desirable to determine the amount of induced heating generated by applied hyperthermia (microwave or ultrasound). However, it is not always possible or safe to insert a temperature sensitive probe into the subject. The application of assessing tissue temperature from the temperature dependence of ultrasonic speed has been suggested by others (Bowen et al., 1979; Nasoni et al., 1979; Rajagopalan et al., 1979). But it may be possible to refine the assessment of temperature change from the simultaneous determination of the acoustic speed and the ultrasonic attenuation coefficient. A method is outlined for producing maps of temperature change after heating.
KeywordsAttenuation Coefficient Single Instruction mUltiple Data Thermal Coefficient Acoustic Speed Ultrasonic Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowen, T., Conner, W. G., Nasoni, R. L., Pifer, A. E., and Sholes, R. R., 1979, Measurement of the temperature dependence of the velocity of ultrasound in soft tissue, in: “Ultrasonic Tissue Characterization II,”M. Linzer, ed., U.S. Government Printing Office, Washinton, D.C., NBS Special Publication 525, pp 57–61.Google Scholar
- Dunn, F. and Brady, J. K., 1973, Pogloshchenie ul’trazvyeka v biologicheskikh sredakh, Biofizika 18, 1063. Translation, 1974, Ultrasonic absorption in biological materials, Biophysics 18, 1128.Google Scholar
- Dunn, F. and Brady, J. K., 1974, Temperature and frequency dependence of ultrasonic absorption in tissue, Proceedings 8th International Congress on Acoustics, vol. I, p 366c.Google Scholar
- Fry, W. J. and Dunn, F., 1962, Ultrasound: analysis and experimental methods in biological research, in: “Physical Techniques in Biological Research,”Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Huang, T. S., 1977, Algebraic methods of image restoration, in: “Digital Image Processing and Analysis,”J. C. Simon, and A. Rosenfeld, ed., Noordhoff, Leyden.Google Scholar
- Katz, M. B., 1978, Questions of uniqueness and resolution in reconstruction from projections, in: “Lecture Notes on Biomathematics,”Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Rajagopalan, B., Greenleaf, J. F., Thomas, P. J., Johnson, J. A., and Bahn, R. C., 1979, Variation of acoustic speed with temperature in various excised human tissues studied by ultrasound computerized tomography, in: “Ultrasound Tissue Charaterization,”M. Linzer, ed., U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., NBS Special Publication 525, pp 227–233.Google Scholar