Determinants of Laplacians on Surfaces
In modern quantum geometry of strings and especially in the so-called Polyakov string model [P] determinants of Laplacians play a crucial role. As a result the study of this quantity and in particular its dependence on the metric, has been very productive. Our aim here is to review some recent developments in one aspect of this subject and to point out a number of unexpected relationships. Many of the results and ideas discussed here were obtained in collaboration with B. Osgood and R. Phillips and appear in the paper [O-P-S].
KeywordsConstant Curvature Geodesic Curvature Conformal Class Selberg Zeta Function Bieberbach Conjecture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [K]Kierlanczyk, J.M., “Determinants of Laplacians,” Ph.D. thesis M.I.T. 1986.Google Scholar
- [MA2]Manin, Yu., International Congress talk 1986.Google Scholar
- [O-P-S]Osgood, B., R. Phillips, and P. Sarnak, “Extrema of determinants of Laplacians,” preprint 1986.Google Scholar
- [SA]Sarnak, P., “Determinants of Laplacians,” preprint 1986.Google Scholar
- [SE]Sciberg, A., Jnl. Ind. Math. Soc. 20 (1956), pp. 47–87.Google Scholar
- [SI]Siegel, C., “Lectures on advanced analytic number theory,” Tata Inst. (1961).Google Scholar
- [T]Thurston, W., “Geometry and topology of three manifolds,” Princeton 1979.Google Scholar
- [VA]Vardi, I., “Determinants of Laplacians and multiple gamma functions,” preprint 1986.Google Scholar
- [VO]Voros, A., “Spectral functions, special functions and the Selberg zeta function,” preprint 1986.Google Scholar