During the past decade, endovascular techniques for intracranial aneurysms have flourished. The original indication, giant unclippable intracranial aneurysms, has been extended to include small aneurysms and those that have recently ruptured. In addition to balloons, the introduction of coils and hardening materials has allowed extension of the technique to virtually any aneurysm of the intracranial circulation. Hardening materials can be introduced into the aneurysm within a balloon or directly into aneurysm cavities.
KeywordsVertebral Artery Balloon Catheter Intracranial Aneurysm Balloon Occlusion Axillary Artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Serbinenko FA. Catheterization and occlusion of magistral brain vessels. In: Abstract Book of the First Congress of Neurosurgeons of USSR. Moscow, Russia: 1971; 1:121–123.Google Scholar
- 2.Serbinenko FA, Filatov YM. Method of catheterization of anterior cerebral artery. In Proceedings of the Third Congress of Neurosurgeons. Baltic Republic, Riga; 1972:160–762.Google Scholar
- 3.Zubkov YN. Catheterization of brain vessels [in Russian]. In: Neurosurgery: Annals of the Polenov Neurosurgical Institute (Leningrad, Russia). 1973;5:218–227.Google Scholar
- 4.Gianturco C, Anderson JH, Wallace S. Mechanical devices for arterial occlusion. Am J Roentgenol. 1975;129:428–435.Google Scholar
- 7.Yang PJ, Halbach VV, Higashida RT, Hieshima GB, Seigel RS. Platinum wire: a new transvascular embolic agent. AJNR. 1988;9:1030.Google Scholar
- 8.Hilal SK, Khandji A, Solomon RW, Chi L. Obliteration of intracranial aneurysms with preshaped thrombogenic coils. Presented at the 1989 Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America; November 26-December 1, Chicago, Illinois; 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.Guglielmi G, Vinuela F, Dion J, Duckwiler G. Electro-thrombosis of saccular aneurysms via endovascular approach. Part 2: preliminary clinical experience. J Neuro-surg. 1991;75:8–14.Google Scholar
- 10.Shcheglov VI. Endovascular interventions in neurosurgical pathology [in Russian]. In: Sjezd Neirokhirurgov USSRM. Moscow, Russia: 1979;558–559.Google Scholar
- 12.Purinja BA, Kasjanov VA. Biomechanics of Large Balloon Vessels in Humans [in Russian]. Riga, Russia: Zinatne, 1980:260.Google Scholar
- 13.Asaturyan GA, Dubikajtis YV, Zubkov YN, Panuntsev VS, Rikunov MA, Semenjutin VB. Modern possibilities of estimate of functional significance of brain vessels in neurosurgical clinic [in Russian]. In: Actual Problems of Neurology and Neurosurgery. 1981; 3–7.Google Scholar
- 14.Khilko VA, Zubkov YN. Intravascular surgery of intracranial aneurysms. In: Khilko VA, Zubkov YN, eds. Endovascular Neurosurgery. Leningrad, Russia: Medicina; 1982:150–153.Google Scholar