A Method for the Treatment of Congenital Clubfeet in Infants
We have systematically treated congenital clubfeet by our therapeutic system starting in the early neonatal period. The system2 involves manual correction, taping, application of plaster casts, Morita’s operation,5 use of an orthosis, and a program of clubfoot exercises (Table 17.8).3 Each of these components has been specially modified and differs from those previously reported. Cases in which cast correction was insufficient or cases that were referred to our clinic because of relapse (i.e., cases that were previously treated by procedures different from ours) are sometimes treated by posteromedial release operation at our clinic, although they are exceptional cases.
KeywordsPolyethylene Resis Clubfoot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beatson, T.R., Pearson, J.R.: A method assessing correction in club feet. J. Bone Joint Surg., 48B:40–50, 1966.Google Scholar
- 2.Kinoshita, M., Onomura, T., Takeda, K. Semoto, Y., Kobayashi, I., Doi, M., Monta, S., Yokoyama, S.: New orthosis in Morita’s leverage-wire correction method for the treatment of congenital clubfoot. J. Jpn. Surg. Foot, 7:176–181, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.Kinoshita, M., Onomura, T., Takeda, K. Semoto, Y., Doi, M., Okuda, M., Kojima, H., Kurimoto, K., Yokoyama, S.: Our treatment for congenital clubfoot. J. Jpn. Orthop. Assoc., 62(9): 1494, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Kinoshita, M., Nagata, H. Doi, M., Abe, M., Onomura, T.: The biomechanical effects of our improved Wisbrun’s arch support for congenital club foot treatment. J.S.O.B., 10:165–168, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.Monta, S.: A method for treatment of resistant congenital clubfoot in infants by gradual correction with leverage-wire correction and wiretraction cast. J. Bone Joint Surg., 44-A:149–168, 1962.Google Scholar
- 6.Video (Medi Surgical). Association for the Study and Application of the Method of Ilizarov: Operative principles of Ilizarov. Fracture treatmentnonunion osteomyelitis-lengthening deformity correction. Milano, Italy: 1991; 400–401.Google Scholar