Aspects of Uncertainty in Qualitative Systems Modeling
It is argued in this chapter that uncertainty is a valuable commodity in systems modeling, which can be traded for a reduction of complexity or an increase of credibility of systems models. Principles of maximum and minimum uncertainty are introduced as fundamental to problems involving ampliative reasoning and problems of systems simplification, respectively. Novel mathematical theories for dealing with uncertainty and measures of relevant types of uncertainty in these theories are overviewed. It is shown that uncertainty is a multidimensional concept, and consequently, the principles of maximum and minimum uncertainty must be formulated as multiple objective criteria optimization problems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bogler, P. Shafer-Dempster reasoning with applications to multitarget identification systems. IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern. SMC-17, 6 (1987), 968–977.Google Scholar
- 2.Christensen, R. Entropy Minimax Sourcebook (4 volumes). Entropy Limited, Lincoln, Mass., 1980–1981.Google Scholar
- 4.Dubois, D., and Prade, H. Possibility Theory. Plenum Press, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Gaines, B.R. On the complexity of causal models. IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern. SMC-6 (1976), 56–59.Google Scholar
- 7.Hartley, R.V.L. Transmission of information. The Bell Syst. Tech. J. 7, (1928), 535–563.Google Scholar
- 11.Jaynes, E.T. Papers on Probability, Statistics and Statistical Physics (edited by R.D. Rosenkrantz). D. Reidel, Boston, 1983.Google Scholar
- 13.Klir, G.J. An Approach to General Systems Theory. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1969.Google Scholar
- 18.Lao Tsu. Tao Te Ching. Vintage Books, New York, 1972.Google Scholar
- 22.Renyi, A. Introduction to information theory. In Probability Theory. North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1970, pp. 540–616.Google Scholar
- 26.Simon, H.A. The Sciences of the Artificial. MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1969.Google Scholar
- 27.Sugeno, M. Fuzzy measures and fuzzy integrals: A survey. In Fuzzy Automata and Decision Processes, M.M. Gupta, G.N. Saridis, and B.R. Gaines, Eds. Elsevier North-Holland, New York, pp. 89–102.Google Scholar
- 28.Weaver, W. Science and complexity. Am. Sci. 36 (1948), 536–544.Google Scholar
- 29.Wymore, A.W. A Mathematical Theory of Systems Engineering: The Elements. Wiley, New York, 1969.Google Scholar