Stochastic Dominance for the Class of Completely Monotonic Utility Functions
According to the expected utility axioms, a decision maker with utility function u(x) for wealth x assigns the following subjective value to an uncertain prospect with cumulative distribution function F(x).
It is assumed here that wealth level x is positive and that prospect F has moments of all orders.
$$ E(u;F) = \smallint _0^\infty u(x)dF(x) $$
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blackwell, D., and M.A. Girshick, Theory of Games and Statistical Decisions. New York: Wiley, 1954.Google Scholar
- Brumelle, S.L., and R.G. Vickson, “A Unified Approach to Stochastic Dominance.” In Stochastic Optimization Models in Finance, eds. W.T. Ziemba and R.G. Vickson. New York: Academic Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- Fishburn, P.C., Decision and Value Theory. New York: Wiley, 1964.Google Scholar
- Fishburn, P.C., and R.G. Vickson, “Theoretical Foundations of Stochastic Dominance.” In Stochastic Dominance, eds. G.A. Whitmore and M.C. Findlay. Lexington, Massachusetts: Heath, 1978.Google Scholar
- Hadar, J., and W.R. Russell, “Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects,” American Economic Review 59 (1969): 25–34.Google Scholar
- Keeney, R.L., and H. Raiffa, Decisions with Multiple Objectives: Preferences and Value Tradeoffs. New York: Wiley, 1976.Google Scholar
- Phelps, R.R., Lectures on Choquet’s Theorem. Princeton, New Jersey: D. Van Nostrand, 1966.Google Scholar
- Vickson, R.G., “Stochastic Dominance Tests for Decreasing Absolute Risk Aversion I: Discrete Random Variables,” Management Science, Application Series, 21 (1975): 1438–1446.Google Scholar
- Vickson, R.G., “Stochastic Dominance Tests for Decreasing Absolute Risk Aversion II: General Random Variables,” Management Science, Application and Theory Series 23 (1977): 478–489.Google Scholar
- Whitmore, G.A., “Third-Degree Stochastic Dominance,” American Economic Review 60 (1970): 457–459.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag New York Inc. 1989