Pollen Selection Through Storage: A Tool for Improving True Potato Seed Quality?
Selection pressure applied to pollen may considerably alter the gene frequency in the following generation of the species in question. The principles of the Hardy-Weinberg Law do not hold true if there is selection pressure at the gametophytic level. Studies on pollen selection mechanisms have increased our understanding of Angiosperm evolution (Baker et al. 1983; Hoeckstra, 1983), and gametophytic selection has facilitated the achievement of breeding objectives (Ottaviano et al. 1982; Zamir et al. 1983).
KeywordsSeed Size Seed Weight Seed Vigor Storage Treatment True Potato Seed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker HG, Baker I (1983) Some evolutionary and taxonomic implications of variation in the chemical reserves of pollen. In: Pollen: Biology and Implications for Plant Breeding. Mulcahy DL, Ottaviano E (Editors) Elsevier Biomedical, New York 43–51Google Scholar
- Dayal TR, Upadhya MD, Chaturvedi SN (1984) Correlation studies on 1000-true-seed weight, tuber vield and other morphological traits in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) Potato Res 27:185–188Google Scholar
- Harrington JF (1971) The necessity for high quality vegetable seed. Hon Sci 6:2–3Google Scholar
- Hoekstra FA (1982) Physiological evolution in Angiosperm pollen: possible role of pollen vigor. In: Pollen: Biology and Implications for Plant Breeding. Mulcahy DL, Ottaviano E (Editors) Elsevier Biomedical, New York 35–41Google Scholar
- Kiesselbach TA (1936) The immediate effect of genetic relationship and of parental type upon kernel weight of corn. Nebr Agr Exp Sta Res Bull 33:1–69Google Scholar
- Malagamba P (1984) Design and evaluation of different systems of potato production from true seed, Proc of 9th Trien Conf of the Eur Assoc for Potato Res (EAPR). Winiger FA, Stockli A (Editors) Interlaken (Switzerland) 412 ppGoogle Scholar
- Mulcahy DL (1974) Adaptive significance of gametic competition. In: Fertilization of Higher Plants. Linskens HF (Editor) North Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam 27–30Google Scholar
- Smith OE, Welch NC, Little TM (1973) Studies on lettuce seed quality: I. Effect of seed size and weight on vigor. J Amer Soc Hort Sci 98:529–533Google Scholar
- Yamada M, Murakami (1983) Superiority in gamete competition of pollen derived from F. plants in maize. In Pollen: Biology and Implications for Plant Breeding. Mulcahy DL, Ottaviano E (Editors) Elsevier Biomedical, New York, 389–395Google Scholar
- Zamir, D, Vallejos EG (1983) Temperature effects on haploid selection of tomato microspores and pollen grains. In Pollen: Biology and Implications for Plant Breeding. Mulcahy DL, Ottaviano E (Editors) Elsevier Biomedical, New York, 335–342Google Scholar