Intraaortic Balloon Pumping in Children
Intraaortic balloon pumping (IABP) has been used on an estimated 30,000 adults annually for the management of low cardiac output (CO). However, its application to pediatric patients has been more limited. In our institution, successful preclinical trials  encouraged us to apply the IABP to pediatric patients with low CO refractory to pharmacologic management .
KeywordsCatheter Ischemia Urea Creatinine Heparin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Veasy LG, Blaylock RC, Daitoh n, et al: Pre-clinical evaluation of intraaortic balloon pumping for pediatric use. TransAm Soc Artif Int Org 27: 490, 1981.Google Scholar
- 3.Van-Meurs-Van Woezik H, Krediet P: Measurements of the descending aorta in infants and children: comparison with other aortic dimensions. J Anat 135 (2), 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.Quaal SJ: Comprehensive Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumping, St Louis, CV Mosby, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Webster H: Bioinstrumentation: Principles and techniques, in Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Child, edited by St Louis, CV Mosby, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.Webster H, Veasy LG: IABP in Children. Heart and Lung (in press 1985).Google Scholar
- 7.Hazinski MF (ed): Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Child. St Louis, CV Mosby, 1984.Google Scholar