Determinant Heterogeneity of CD5, CD8, and CD4 Antigen Molecules as Defined by Monoclonal Antibodies
A variety of human T cell surface antigens have been discovered through the use of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) (1). Some of them have been postulated to play important roles in immunoregulation. T8 (Leu-2) and T4 (Leu-3) antigens, for example, which were originally thought to be suppressor/cytotoxic and helper/inducer T cell markers, respectively, have been analyzed in detail and the results indicate that T8 and T4 antigens serve as receptors for class I and class II major histocompatibility complex (MHC) antigens, respectively (2–4).
KeywordsLeukemia Electrophoresis Penicillin Fractionation Polyacrylamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bernard, A., L. Boumsell, and C. Hill. 1984. Joint report of the First International Workshop on Human Leucocyte Differentiation Antigens by the investigators of the participating laboratories. In: A. Bernard, L. Boumsell, J. Dausset, C. Milstein, and S.F. Schlossman, eds. Leukocyte typing, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, p. 9.Google Scholar
- 6.Ishii, Y., T. Takami, H. Yuasa, T. Takei, and K. Kikuchi. 1984. Two distinct antigen systems in human B lymphocytes: identification of cell surface and intracellular antigens using monoclonal antibodies. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 58:in press.Google Scholar
- 8.Mosciki, R.A., E.P. Amento, S.M. Krane, J.T. Kurnick, R.B. Colvin. 1983. Modulation of surface antigens of a human monocyte cell line, U937, during incubating with lymphocyte-conditioned medium: detection of T4 antigen and its presence on normal blood monocytes. J. Immunol. 131: 743.Google Scholar
- 12.Hansen, J.A., P.J. Martin, P.G. Beatty, E.A. Clark, and J.A. Ledbetter. 1984. Human T lymphocyte cell surface molecules defined by the workshop monoclonal antibodies (“T cell protocol”). In: Leukocyte typing, A. Bernard, L. Boumsell, J. Dausset, C. Milstein, and S.F. Schlossman, eds. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, p. 195.Google Scholar
- 17.Martin, P.J., J.A. Ledbetter, E.A. Clark, P.G. Beatty, and J.A. Hansen. 1984. Epitope mapping of the human surface suppressor/cytotoxic T cell molecule Tp32. J. Immunol. 132: 752.Google Scholar