Solutions to problems from previous parts
- 146 Downloads
Chapters 1,9 and 17 dealt with magnetic material used, for instance, in floppy disks and magnetic tape. Such material is commonly modelled by the Landau-Lipshitz (LL) equation. Computation of the hysteresis loops are very expensive because (i) each time-step in the LL time-integration requires several evaluations of the magnetostatic field, and (ii) the nonlinear ODEs describing the motion of the magnetic particles have several kinds of stiffness. Solomonoff  has developed a scheme whereby he uses the LL equation only when the system is not near equilibrium; when the system is near equilibrium he lets the solution follow the equilibrium point (which varies in time, since the external field varies in time). Numerical results show that the method is very effective in reducing the computation time without sacrificing precision, especially in a range of parameters where the anisotropy is not too weak.
KeywordsCapillary Number Magnetic Tape Previous Part Floppy Disk Electrorheological Fluid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Solomonoff, Fast algorithms for micromagnetic computations, IMA Preprint Series, # 1176 (1993).Google Scholar
- A. Friedman, D.S. Ross and J. Zhang, A Stefanproblem for a reaction-diffusion system,SIAM J. Math. Analysis, to appear.Google Scholar
- A. Friedman and B. Hu, A Stefan problem for multi-dimensional reaction diffusion systems,in preparation.Google Scholar
- A. Friedman and C. Huang, Averaged motion of charged particles under their self-induced electric field, IMA Preprint Series, # 1201 (1994).Google Scholar
- P. Sun, D.P. Chock and S.L. Winkler, An implicit-explicit hybrid solver for asystem of stiff kinetic Equation,to appear.Google Scholar
- D.P. Chock, S.L. Winkler and P. Sun, AComparison of stiff chemistry solvers for air quality modeling,to appear.Google Scholar
- A. Friedman and J.J.L. Velazquez, The analysis of coating flows near the contact line,J. Difl. Eqs., to appear.Google Scholar
- A. Friedman and J.J.L. Velazquez, The analysis of coating flows in a strip,J. Dif. Eqs., to appear.Google Scholar
- A. Friedman and J.J.L. Velazquez, Time-dependent coating flows in a strip,in preparation.Google Scholar