Output Feedback in Descriptor Systems
A summary is given of conditions under which a descriptor, or generalized state-space, system can be regularized by output feedback. Theorems are presented showing that under these conditions proportional and derivative output feedback controls can be constructed such that the closed loop system is regular and has index at most one. This property ensures the solvability of the resulting system of dynamic-algebraic equations. A canonical form is given that allows the system properties as well as the feedback to be determined. The construction procedures used to establish the theory are based only on orthogonal matrix decompositions and can therefore be implemented in a numerically stable way. A computational algorithm for improving the ‘conditioning’ of the regularized closed loop system is described.
KeywordsClosed Loop System Descriptor System Output Feedback Loop System Standard System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Bunse-Gerstner, V. Mehrmann, N.K. Nichols, “Derivative Feedback for Descriptor Systems”, FSP Mathematisierung, Universität Bielefeld, Bielefeld, F.R.G., Materialien LVIII,1989, presented at the IFAC International Workshop on System Structure and Control: State-space and Polynomial Methods, Prague, September 1989.Google Scholar
- A. Bunse-Gerstner, V. Mehrmann, N.K. Nichols, “On Derivative and Proportional Feedback Design for Descriptor Systems”, in Signal Processing, Scattering and Operator Theory, and Numerical Methods, Proceedings of the Intern. Symposium MTNS-89, (M.A. Kaashoek et al edtrs.), Vol.III, Birkhäuser, Basel, 1990, pp.437–446Google Scholar
- A. Bunse-Gerstner, V. Mehrmann, N.K. Nichols, “Numerical Methods for the Regularization of Descriptor Systems by Output Feedback”, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota, IMA Preprint Series No. 987, July, 1992.Google Scholar
- L. Eisner, C. He, V. Mehrmann, “Minimizing the Norm, the Norm of the Inverse and the Condition Number of a Matrix by Completion”, Preprint 92–028, Sonderforschungsbereich 343, ‘Diskrete Strukturen in der Mathematik’, Universität Bielefeld, to appear in Jour. Num. Lin. Algebra with Appl.Google Scholar
- F.L. Lewis, “Descriptor Systems: Fundamental Matrix, Reachability and Observability Matrices, Subspaces” Proceedings of 23rd Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, NV, December 1984, pp. 293–298.Google Scholar
- K. Ozcaldiran, “Geometric Notes on Descriptor Systems”, Proceedings of the 27th, CDC, Los Angeles, Ca, 1987Google Scholar