Genetic Defects of the Complement Pathways: Relationship to HLA and Disease
There are known and theoretical defects in the immune response system which might make an individual susceptible to the development of nephritis. Certainly the various deficiencies of immunoglobulins, B and T lymphocytes are well known, and are clinically characterized by recurrent infections. They are not known to be associated with renal diseases, other than perhaps urinary tract infections. Increasing interest has focused lately on inherited, isolated deficiencies of components of the complement system. While first recognized in otherwise normal individuals (reviewed in Jersild et al., 1976; Carpenter et al., 1977; Schur, 1977, 1978; Agnello, 1978), there have recently been numerous reports of their association with disease.
KeywordsArthritis Influenza Osteoarthritis Proteinuria Vasculitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carpenter, C. B., Raum, D., Glass, D., and Schur, P. H., 1977, Ordering of genes for HLA antigens and complement components on the human sixth chromosome, in: HLA and Malignancy (G. P. Murphy, ed.), pp. 9–20, Liss, New York.Google Scholar
- Fu, S. M., Stern, R., Kunkel, H. G., Dupont, B., Hansen, J. A., Day, N. K., Good, R. A., Jersild, C., and Fotino, M., 1975a, LD-7a association with C2 deficiency in five of six families, in: Histocompatibility Testing (F. Kissmeyer-Nielsen, ed.), pp. 933–936, Munksgaard, CopenhagGoogle Scholar
- Mannik, M., Arond, W. P., Hall, A. P., and Gilliland, B. C., 1971, Studies on a n t i g e n-a n t i b o dy complexes. I. Elimination of soluble complexes from rabbit circulation, J. Exp. Med. 133:713.Google Scholar
- Ochs, H., Rosenfield, S. I., Thomas, E. D., Giblet, E. R., Alper, C. A., Dupont, B., Schaller, J. G., Gilliland, B. C., Hansen, J. A., and Wedgewood, R. J., 1977, Linkage between the gene or genes controlling synthesis of The fourth component of complement and the major histocompatibility complex, N. Engl. J. Med. 296:470.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rittner, C., Hauptmann, G., Gross-Wilde, H., Grosshans, E., Tongio, M. M., and Mayer, S., 1975, Linkage between HLA (major histocompatibility complex) and genes controlling the synthesis of The fourth component of complement, in: Histocompatibility Testing (F. Kissmeyer-Nielsen, ed.), pp. 945–953, Munksgaard, Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Stratton, F., 1974, cited by Lachmann, P. J., Genetic deficiencies of the complement system, Boll. 1st. Sieroter. Milan. 53(Suppl. I): 195.Google Scholar