Conformational Studies of Poly(Ethyl Acrylate-co-Acrylic Acid)
In recent years, extensive complementary light-scattering and viscosity studies have been carried out by a number of workers for nonionic polymers (1–7) but very few for polyelectrolytes (8–10). Our present work concerns a systematic study of a poly(ethyl acrylate-co-acrylic acid), an interesting polyelectrolyte with both hydrophilic and hydrophobic groups. The copolymer contains ethyl acrylate and acrylic acid residues in a mole ratio of three to one, respectively (Figure 1). The weight fractions of each comonomer in the polymer were found to be constant over the entire molecular-weight range studied. The different monomer groups are also randomly distributed along each chain.
KeywordsHydrolysis Ethyl Hydroxide Titration Fluores
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. C. Berry, ibid., 46, 1338 (1967).Google Scholar
- 7.I. Noda, K. Mizutani, T. Kato. T. Fujimoto, and M. Nagasawa. Macromolecules, 3, 787 (1970).Google Scholar
- 11.J. S. Tan and S. P. Gasper, Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., 17, 373 (1972); also submitted as Parts I and II to Macromolecules, (1972).Google Scholar
- 15.T. N. Nebrasova, Ye. V. Anufriyeva, A. Yel’yashevich, and O. B. Ptitsyn, Vysokomol. Soyed., 7, 913 (1965).Google Scholar
- 19.J. C. Leyte and M. Mandel, J. Polymer Sci., Part-A, 2, 1879 (1964).Google Scholar
- 21.T. N. Nebrasova, A. G. Gabrielyan, and O. B, Ptitsyn, Vysokomol. Soyed., A10, 297 (1968).Google Scholar