Oral Manifestations of IgA Deficiency
The IgA system is viewed as a major local defense mechanism of mucous membranes, and IgA deficiency seems to be a significant predisposing factor to a variety of sino-pulmonary infections and intestinal disorders (1–6). Since IgA is the predominant immunoglobulin in secretions (7–10), including saliva, a protective role for this class of immunoglobulins in dental caries and periodontal disease has been suggested. Indeed, results of one investigation suggested that a deficient secretion of IgA in saliva might be associated with increased caries incidence (11). At present, however, the concept of immunity in dental caries is speculative and no conclusive evidence is available regarding the capacity of the IgA system to protect the periodontium (12–14). In addition, no description of the oral status of IgA deficient patients is available in the literature.
KeywordsPeriodontal Disease Otitis Medium Dental Caries Oral Hygiene Oral Manifestation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pierce, A.E., Vet. Rev. Annot. 5:17, 1959.Google Scholar
- 3.South, M.A., Cooper, M.D., Hong, R., Wollheim, F.A. and Good, R.A. in Birth Defects Original Article Series, Vol. IV, No. 1 (Immunologic Deficiency Diseases in Man) p. 283, D. Bergsma and R.A. Good, eds., University of Florida Press, Gainesville, Florida, 1968.Google Scholar
- 4.Heremans, J.F. and Crabbe, P.A. in Birth Defects Original Article Series, Vol. IV, No. 1, (Immunologic Deficiency Diseases in Man) p. 298, University of Florida Press, Gainesville, Florida, 1968.Google Scholar
- 6.Huntley, C.C. and Stephenson, R.L., North Car. Med. J., 29:325, 1968.Google Scholar
- 13.Brandtzaeg, P., Fjellanger, I. and Gjeruldsen, S.T. Scan. J. Haemat. Supplementum No. 12, 1970.Google Scholar
- 16.Ramfjord, S.P. J. Periodont. 30:51, 1959.Google Scholar
- 18.McDonald, R.E. Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent, C.V. Mosby, Saint Louis, 1969.Google Scholar
- 20.Syrrist, A. and Selander, P. Odont. Tidskr 61:237, 1953.Google Scholar
- 22.Robinson, S. and Naylor, S.R. Brit. Dent. J. 115, 1963.Google Scholar
- 24.Finn, S.B. Current Dental Comment 1:35, 1969.Google Scholar
- 25.Emslie, R.D., Massler, M. and Zwemer, J.D. J. Amer. Dent. Assoc. 44:506, 1952.Google Scholar
- 27.Alexander, A.G. Paradontologie 24:49, 1970.Google Scholar