Electronic Magnetic Ordering Induced by Hyperfine Interactions in Terbium and Holmium Gallium Garnets
Previous susceptibility measurements on the terbium and the holmium gallium garnets (TbGaG and HoGaG) by Wolf et al 1 down to 1°K and by Cooke et al.2 down to 0.6°K indicated no magnetic ordering for these compounds. The results have been used in the case of TbGaG by Ayant et al 3 to evaluate the crystal-field splitting of the Tb3+ ion and they found two low-lying singlet energy levels well isolated from the upper ones with a separation of Δ = 4.2°K and a magnetic moment at saturation m s of 7.35µB. In the case of HoGaG, Onn and Meyer published specific heat measurements4 which are consistent with the same two-singlet scheme with Δ = 7.4°K.
KeywordsHyperfine Interaction Specific Heat Measurement Nuclear Contribution Carbon Resistor Heat Pulse Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.P. Wolf, M. Ball, M.T. Hutchings, M.J.M. Leask, and A.F.G. Wyast, J. Phys. Soc. Jap. 17 (suppl. Bl), 443 (1962).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Gavignet-Tillard and J. Hammann, in Proc. 12th Intern. Conf. Low Temp. Phys. Academic Press of Japan, Tokyo 1971, p. 697.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Hammann, Acta Cryst. B25, 1853 (1969).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Abragam and B. Bleaney, EPR of Transition Ions, Clarendon Press, Oxford (1970).Google Scholar
- 11.T. Murao (to be published).Google Scholar