Early work on the genetics of animal viruses was reviewed, with extensive references, by Fenner and Sambrook (1964), and work done between 1963 and 1969 by Fenner (1970a). A general account of the biology of animal viruses is available in Fenner (1968) and has been brought up to date in the second edition of that book (Fenner et al., 1974). Names used for viral groups (families and genera) in general follow Wildy (1971).
KeywordsNewcastle Disease Virus Vesicular Stomatitis Virus Animal Virus Newcastle Disease Virus Strain Polyoma Virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berry, G. P. and H. M. Dedrick, 1937 A method for changing the virus of rabbit fibroma (Shope) into that of infectious myxomatosis (Sanarelli). J. Bacteriol. 31:50–51.Google Scholar
- Brown, S. M., D. A. Ritchie and J. H. Subak-Sharpe, 1973 Genetic studies with herpes simplex virus type 1. I. The isolation of temperature-sensitive mutants, their arrangement into complementation groups, and recombination analysis leading to a linkage map. J. Gen. Virol. 18:329–346.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fenner, F., 1968 Molecular and cellular biology. In The Biology of Animal Viruses, Vol. I, pp. 313–377, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Fenner, F., 1970b Genetic aspects of viral diseases. J. R. Coll. Physns. Lond. 5:13–30.Google Scholar
- Fenner, F. and D. O. White, 1970 Medical Virology, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Fenner, F., B. R. McAuslan, C. A. Mims, J. F. Sambrook, and D. O. White, 1974 The Biology of Animal Viruses, second edition, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Levin, M. J., C. S. Crumpacker, A. M. Lewis, M. N. Oxman, P. H. Henry and W. P. Rowe, 1971 Studies of nondefective adenovirus 2-simian virus 20 hybrid viruses. II. Relationship of adenovirus 2 deoxyribonucleic acid and simian virus 40 deoxyribonucleic acid in the Ad2+ND1 genome. J. Virol. 7:343–351.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rapp, F. and J. L. Melnick, 1966 Papovavirus SV40, adenoviruses and their “hybrids”: Transformation, complementation and transcapsidation. Progr. Med. Virol. 8:349–399.Google Scholar
- Sharp, D. G., 1968 Multiplicity reactivation of animal viruses. Progr. Med. Virol. 10:64–109.Google Scholar
- Wildy, P., 1971 Classification and nomenclature of viruses. First report of the International Committee on Nomenclature of Viruses: Monographs in Virology, Vol. 5, pp. 1–81, S.Karger, Basel.Google Scholar