In the preceding chapters native guides have attempted to clarify what is known about a particular part of the social scene in their own diverse countries, and may have left the reader somewhat dissatisfied and exhausted. If he is dissatisfied because answers are not given to all his questions, then this is inevitable in the present state of knowledge, although the material provided gives a basis from which the answers to some questions might come. If he is exhausted by an understandable difficulty in summarizing relevant similarities and differences regarding divorce in the various countries, then this commentary may be of some assistance in clarifying the picture. Clearly, a closely-detailed and country by country comparison would be inappropriate in a general overview of the contents of the book, but certain general questions can be reviewed. What, for instance, has been shown about divorce law in the past and in the present? What has been said about the moral climate regarding divorce? What information has been given about divorce frequency among earlier generations and contemporary married populations? What can be gathered about the characteristics of divorced couples? What can be said of the remarriage prospects of divorcees? Brief and provisional answers to such questions can be attempted from the information set out in earlier chapters, and this is the business of this concluding chapter.
KeywordsFederal Republic Divorce Rate Family Life Cycle Mixed Marriage French Author
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chester, R., ‘Divorce and the family life cycle in Great Britain’, in: Family Life Cycle in European Societies. Mouton, Paris, 1976.Google Scholar
- Goode, W. J., After Divorce. The Free Press, New York, 1956.Google Scholar
- Goode, W. J., ‘Marital satisfaction and stability: a cross-national analysis of divorce rates’, International Social Science Journal, 14, 1962, p. 507.Google Scholar
- Kooy, G. A., ‘Het Modern-Westers Gezin.’ Paul Brand, Hilversum-Antwerp, 1967.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Justice, Divorce en France: année 1970. Documentation Française, Paris, 1973.Google Scholar