The Natural History and Management of the Patient with Alcoholic Liver Disease
The aim of this paper is to examine the natural history of alcoholic liver disease as it is related to the natural history of alcoholism, its prognosis and treatment. Some of the problems of managing liver disease in alcoholic patients and deficiencies in our present care of these individuals will be identified and suggestions made about how they can be resolved.
KeywordsLiver Disease Alcohol Consumption Alcoholic Liver Disease Alcoholic Hepatitis Alcoholic Patient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.PÉQUIGNOT G: Enquête par interrogatoire sur les circonstances diététiques de la cirrhose alcoolique en France. Bull Inst National Hygiene 13: 719–939, 1958Google Scholar
- 2.PÉQUIGNOT G, CHABERT C, EYDOUX H, COURCOUL MA: Increased risk of liver cirrhosis with intake of alcohol. Rev Alcohol 20: 191–202, 1974Google Scholar
- 7.ASHLEY MJ, OLIN JS, LE RICHE WH, KORNACZEWSKI A, SCHMIDT W, RANKIN JG: A sociomedical profile of alcoholism. I. Demographic, sociological and drinking characteristics of 1001 alcoholics. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 8.ASHLEY MJ, OLIN JS, LE RICHE WH, KORNACZEWSKI A, SCHMIDT W, COREY PN, RANKIN JG: A sociomedical profile of alcoholism. II. The physical disease characteristics of 1001 alcoholics. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 9.RANKIN JG, ORREGO H, MEDLINE A, DESCHENES J, FINDLAY J, ARMSTRONG A: Diagnostic problems in alcoholic liver disease. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 11.DE LINDT J, SCHMIDT W. Mortality from liver cirrhosis and other causes in alcoholics. A follow-up study of patients with and without a history of enlarged fatty liver. Quart J Stud Ale 31: 705–709, 1970Google Scholar
- 12.BAEKELAND F, LUNDWELL L, KISSIN B: Methods for the Treatment of Chronic Alcoholism: A Critical Appraisal. In Research Advances in Alcohol and Drug Problems Vol 2. R Gibbins, Y Israel, H Kalant, R Popham, W Schmidt, R Smart (eds.). John Wiley and Sons, N.Y., 1975. pp. 247–327Google Scholar
- 13.DREW LR: Alcoholism as a self-limiting disease. Quart J Stud Ale 29: 956–967, 1968Google Scholar
- 14.RANKIN JG, WILKINSON P, SANTAMARIA JN: Factors influencing the prognosis of the alcoholic patient with cirrhosis. Aust Ann Med 3: 232–239, 1970Google Scholar
- 15.SCHMIDT W: The epidemiology of cirrhosis of the liver: A statistical analysis of mortality data with special reference to Canada. In Alcohol and the Liver. JG Rankin, MM Fisher (eds.). Plenum, New York, 1977Google Scholar
- 16.RANKIN JG, WILKINSON P, SANTAMARIA JN: Factors influencing the prognosis of the alcoholic patient with cirrhosis. Aust Ann Med 3: 232–239, 1970Google Scholar