In order to investigate the ordering mechanism among giant moments around Fe impurities in Pd, µ+ was used to probe the conduction electron polarization in PdFe alloys above and below the critical concentration of 0.1 at. % (i.e. 0.28 at. % Fe and 0.015 at. % Fe) with reference to pure Pd. Below the ordering temperatures (9.0 K and O.4 K, respectively), the broadening of the µ+ field for 0.015 at. % Fe is substantially larger than that for 0.28 at. % Fe, when normalized to the bulk magnetization. The results can be explained in terms of an RKKY spin oscillation in the region outside the giant moment.
KeywordsDipolar Field Knight Shift Bulk Magnetization Spin Oscillation Decay Positron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.G. Chouteau and R. Tournier, Jour. de Physique C1, 1002 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Völkl and G. Alefeld, in Diffusion in Solids, edited by A.S. Nowick and J.J. Burton (Academic Press, New York, 1975), chap. V.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Brill and J. Voitländer, Ber. Bunsenges. Physik. Chem. 77, 1097 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Nagamine, N. Nishida, S. Nagamiya, O. Hashimoto and T. Yamazaki, to be published.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Nagamine, S. Nagamiya, O. Hashimoto, N. Nishida, T. Yamazaki and B.D. Patterson, to be published in Hyperfine Interactions.Google Scholar
- 17.G. Chouteau, R. Fourneaux and R. Tournier, in Proceedings of 12th Int. Conf. on Low Temp. Phys., Kyoto, Japan (Academic Press of Japan, 1970), 769.Google Scholar
- 18.We acknowledge Dr. B.H. Verbeek for his suggestion.Google Scholar