Stability, Phase Equilibria, and Interfacial Free Energy in Microemulsions
microemulsion in equilibrium with another (in particular dilute) microemulsion of oil-in-water;
microemulsion in equilibrium with another (in particular dilute) microemulsion of water-in-oil, and
a dilute microemulsion of water-in-oil in equilibrium with a dilute microemulsion of oil-in-water. Similar multiphase systems have been previously identified experimentally by Winsor and by Healy et al. The present expressions also explain the low values of the interfacial free energy between two microemulsion phases in equilibrium. Second, a transport equation is established for a concentrated colloidal system. Based on this equation conditions are identified when the system is stable or unstable to small perturbations and information about its time evolution obtained. This dynamic approach provides a time scale for significant changes to occur in an unstable system.
KeywordsEntropy Surfactant Convection Assure Flocculation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. V. Derjaguin and L.D. Landau, Acta Physico-chimica 14, 633 (1941).Google Scholar
- 2.E. W. J. Verwey and J.Th.G. Overbeek, “Theory of the Stability of Lyophobic Colloids,” Elsevier, New York, Amsterdam, 1948.Google Scholar
- 10.J. H. Schulman and J. A. Friend, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 4, 1988 (1971).Google Scholar
- 16.P.A. Winsor, “Solvent Properties of Amphiphilic Compounds,” Butterworth’s Scientific Publications, London, 1954.Google Scholar
- 17.R. N. Healy, R. L. Reed, and D. G. Stenmark, Soc. Pet. Eng. J. 147 (June 1976).Google Scholar
- 19.E. Ruckenstein and J. C. Chi, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. II 71, 1690 (1975).Google Scholar
- 25.A. Vrij, J. Polym. Sci. A-2, 6, 1919 (1968).Google Scholar
- 26.T. Nose, Polymer Journal (Japan) 8, 96 (1976).Google Scholar
- 29.E. Ruckenstein, Stability of Concentrated Colloidal Systems (unpublished 1972).Google Scholar
- 30.R. B. Bird, W. E. Stewart and E. N. Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1960).Google Scholar