Biological Response Modifiers as Anticancer Agents
Major technological advances have been made in the last five years which give a strong basis for a fourth modality of cancer treatment (1). First, advances in molecular biology have allowed scientists to clone individual genes and thereby produce huge quantities of highly purified products of the mammalian genome. A second major advance was the discovery of hybridomas, where one can now make immunoglobulins at the same level of molecular purity as for drugs and cloned gene products.
KeywordsChronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Hairy Cell Leukemia Biological Response Modifier Fourth Modality Antigenic Modulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Oldham RK. Biologicals and biological response modifiers: The fourth modality of cancer treatment. Cancer Treat Rpt, 1983. (In press) ReferencesGoogle Scholar
- 3.Oldham RK, Smalley RV. Immunotherapy: The old and the new. J Biol Resp Modif (2): 1–37, 1983.Google Scholar
- 4.Hanna, Jr MG, Key ME, Oldham RK. The biology of cancer therapy: Some insights into adjuvant treatment of metastatic solid tumors. J Biol Resp Modif (2): 295–305, 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.Oldham RK. Biological response modifiers program. J Biol Resp Modif (1): 81–100, 1982.Google Scholar
- 6.Smalley RV, Oldham RK. Interferon as a biological response modifying agent in clincial trials. J Biol Resp Modif (5): 401–408, 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.Herberman RB, Thurman GB. Summary of approaches to the immunological monitoring of cancer patients treated with natural or recombinant interferons. J Biol Resp Modif (6): 1983. (In press)Google Scholar
- 8.Oldham RK. The role of interferon in the treatment of cancer. In: Zoon KC, Liu D (ed) Proceedings of Workshop on Interferon. Elsevier Press, New York, 1983. ( In press )Google Scholar
- 9.Foon KA, Bernhard MI, Oldham RK. Monoclonal antibody therapy: Assessment by animal tumor models. J Biol Resp Modif (1): 277–304, 1983.Google Scholar
- 11.Oldham RK. Monoclonal antibodies in cancer therapy. J Clin One (9): 582–590, 1983.Google Scholar
- 14.Oldham RK, Foon KA, Morgan AC, Woodhouse CS, Schroff RW, Abrams PG, Fer M, Schoenberger CS, Farrell M, Kimball E, Sherwin SA. Monoclonal antibody therapy of malignant melanoma: In vivo localization in cutaneous metastatsis after intravenous administration, 1983. (Submitted)Google Scholar
- 15.Foon KA, Schroff RW, Bunn PA, Mayer D, ABrams PG, Fer M, Ochs J, Bottino GC, Sherwin SA, Herberman RB, Oldham RK. Effects of monoclonal antibody sero¬therapy on patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia, 1983. ( Submitted )Google Scholar