Peritoneal Dialysis in Children
Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis have been successfully used in children with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) (1,2,3,4). While neither form of dialysis is optimal (5), intermittent peritoneal dialysis (IPD) has been shown to be as effective as hemodialysis and offers certain medical and psychosocial advantages. Although simplicity has been the hallmark of peritoneal dialysis since its inception (6,7), the successful employment of arteriovenous shunts followed by the perfection in dialysis techniques and the proliferation of treatment facilities relegated peritoneal dialysis to a secondary role. These developments created a gap in the clinical application and technology between the two treatment modalities.
KeywordsCatheter Phosphorus Osteoporosis Creatinine Transportation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Potter, D., Larsen, D., Leumann, E., Perin, D., Simmons, J., Piel, C.F., and Holliday, M.A.: Treatment of chronic uremia in childhood. II. Hemodialysis. Pediatr., 46: 678, 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.Khan, A.V., Herndon, C.H. and Ahmadian, S.Y.: Social and emotional adaptations of children with transplanted kidneys and chronic hemodialysis. Am. J. Psych. 128: 1194, 1971.Google Scholar
- 7.Boen, S.T.: Overview and history of peritoneal dialysis. Dialysis & Transplantation 6 (2): 12, February, 1977.Google Scholar
- 8.Tenckhoff, H. and Schaechter, H.: A bacteriologically safe peritoneal access device. Trans. Am. Soc. Artif. Internal Organs 14: 181, 1960.Google Scholar
- 10.Grossman, M.B.: Comprehensive follow–up, an essential ingredient to a home training program. Presented at the Realities of Nephrology Patient Care in the New Decade. 11th National AANNT Symposium. New Orleans, April 15–17, 1980.Google Scholar
- 11.Grossman, M.B.: Self-Care for children and adolescents on dialysis. Presented at the Realities of Nephrology Patient Care in the New Decade. 11th National AANNT Symposium, New Orleans, April 15–17, 1980.Google Scholar
- 12.Diaz-Buxo, J.A., Chandler, J.T., Farmer, C.D. and Smith, D.L.: Chronic peritoneal dialysis at hone — a comparison with hemodialysis. Trans. Am. Soc. Artif. Internal Organs 23: 191, 1977.Google Scholar
- 13.Christopher R. Blagg: Peritoneal dialysis and the Medicare ESRD Program. Dialysis & Transplantation, Vol. 8, Number 11, November, 1979.Google Scholar
- 14.Tanner, J.M., Whitehouse, R.H., Takaishi, M.: Standards fran birth to maturity for height, weight, height velocity and weight velocity; British Children, 1965, Arch. Dis. Child. 51:454–471; 613–635, 1966.Google Scholar
- 15.Scarpioni, L., Poisetti, P.G., Ballocchi, S., Bergonzi, G.: Follcw–up of plasna proteins during long-term peritoneal dialysis. Effect of protein loss (Abst.). The first International Symposium on Peritoneal Dialysis, June 25–08, 1978, Chapala, Mexico. Journal of Dialysis 2C55), 421–455, 1978.Google Scholar