Classical Trajectories and Coherent States of a Free Electron Laser
A great deal of theoretical research on the free electron laser (FEL) has occurred since Madey and coworkers first observed FEL operation as an amplifier1 and as an oscillator2. Current trends in theory are reviewed in this paper, together with the experimental efforts.
KeywordsCoherent State Photon Number Laser Field Free Electron Laser Classical Trajectory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.F.A. Hopf, P. Meystre, M.O. Scully and W.H. Louisell, “Classical theory of a free-electron laser”, Opt. Comm. 18, 413 (1976); “Strong-signal theory of a free-electron laser”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 37, 1342 (1976); H. Al Abawi, F.A. Hopf and P. Meystre, “Electron-dynamics in a free-electron laser”, Phys. Rev. A 16, 666 (1977); H. Al Abawi, F.A. Hopf, G.T. Moore and M.O. Scully, “Coherent transients in the free-electron laser: laser lethargy and coherence brightening”, Opt. Comm. 30, 235 (1979); G.T. Moore and M.O. Scully, “Coherent dynamics of a free electron laser with arbitrary magnet geometry. I-General formalism”, Phys. Rev. A 21, 2000 (1980; R. Bonifacio, P. Meystre, G.T. Moore and M.O. Scully, “Coherent dynamics of a free electron laser with arbitrary magnet geometry. II. Conservation laws, small-signal theory, and gain=spread relations”, Phys. Rev. A 21, 2009 (1980).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.W.B. Colson, “One-body electron dynamics in a free electron laser”, Phys. Lett. A 64, 190 (1977); W.H. Louisell, J.F. Lam, D.A. Copeland and W.B. Colson, “Exact classical electron dynamics approach for a free-electron laser amplifier”, Phys. Rev. A 19, 288 (1979); W.B. Colson, contribution to this volume.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.R. Bonifacio, F. Casagrande and L.A. Lugiato, “Exact one-particle theory of a free-electron laser”, Opt. Comm. (in press)Google Scholar
- 14.a) R.J. Glauber, “The quantum theory of optical coherence”, Phys. Rev. 130, 2529 (1963); “Coherent and incoherent states of the radiation field” Phys. Rev. 131, 2766 (1963); b) The relevance of these angular momentum coherent states and of Block states has been discussed by G. Dattoli, A. Renieri, F. Romanelli and R. Bonifacio, “On the coherent states of the free electron laser”, Opt. Comm. 34. 240 (1980).MathSciNetADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.J. Schwinger, in “Quantum theory of angular momentum; perspectives in physics”, eds. L.C. Biedenharm and H. Van Dam (Academic Press, New York, 1965).Google Scholar