Probabilistic Consequences of Imperfect NDE
This paper presents results of Monte Carlo simulation of the Retirement-for-Cause (RFC) engine maintenance system as developed by Pratt and Whitney Aircraft and the U. S. Air Force. The Retirement-for-Cause concept is addressed, conventional Monte Carlo modeling techniques are explained, and an alternative approach developed at Pratt and Whitney is presented. Next, a simplified non-ideal Non-Destructive-Evaluation (NDE) model with fixed probabilities of Type I and Type II errors is described and simulation results obtained using this model are presented and discussed. An appendix presents a survey of various methods used to model NDE.
KeywordsFatigue Steam Beach Expense
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Annis, C.G. Jr., M.C. VanWanderham, J.A. Harris, Jr. and D.L. Sims, 1981, “Gas Turbine Engine Disk Retirement-for-Cause: An Application of Fracture Mechanics and NDE,” J. of Engr. for Power, Vol. 103, No. 1, January.Google Scholar
- Berens, A.P. and P.W. Hove, 1981, “Evaluation of NDE Reliability Characterization—Final Report,” Report. No. AFWAL-TR-81-4160, Vol. 1, U.S. Air Force Materials Laboratory (AFWAL/MLLP), Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratories, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.Google Scholar
- Berens, A.P. and P.W. Hovey, 1982, “Evaluating NDE Reliability Characterization,” Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 2, Plenum Publishing Corp., New York.Google Scholar
- Besuner, P.M., K.G. Sorenson and D.P. Johnson, 1978, “Retirement-for Cause: A Workable Approach for Structural Life Extension and Response to In-Service Problems,” Topical Report EPRI NP-855, August.Google Scholar
- Rau, C.A. Jr., 1978, “The Impact of Inspection and Analysis Uncertainty on Reliability Prediction and Life Extension Strategy,” presented at DARPA/AFML Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, July.Google Scholar
- Yang, J.N., 1982, “Improving NDE Capability through Multiple Inspections,” Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 2, Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York.Google Scholar