On the Strictly Complementary Slackness Relation in Linear Programming
Balinski and Tucker introduced in 1969 a special form of optimal tableaus for LP, which can be used to construct primal and dual optimal solutions such that the complementary slackness relation holds strictly. In this paper, first we note that using a polynomial time algorithm for LP Balinski and Tucker’s tableaus are obtainable in polynomial time. Furthermore, we show that, given a pair of primal and dual optimal solutions satisfying the complementary slackness relation strictly, it is possible to find a Balinski and Tucker’s optimal tableau in strongly polynomial time. This establishes the equivalence between Balinski and Tucker’s format of optimal tableaus and a pair of primal and dual solutions to satisfy the complementary slackness relation strictly. The new algorithm is related to Megiddo’s strongly polynomial algorithm that finds an optimal tableau based on a pair of primal and dual optimal solutions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. Chvatal, Linear Programming, W.H. FYeeman and Company, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.G.B. Dantzig, Linear Programming and Extensions, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1963.Google Scholar
- 4.A.J. Goldman and A.W. Tucker, Theory of linear programming, in Linear Inequalities and Related Systems (H.W. Kuhn and A.W. Tucker eds.), Annuals of Mathematical Studies, No. 38, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1956.Google Scholar
- 5.O. Güller, C. Roos, T. Terlaky and J.-Ph. Vial, Interior point approach to the theory of linear programming, Technical Report No. 1992. 3, Université de Genève, Switerland.Google Scholar
- 6.B. Jansen, C. Roos, T. Terlaky and J.-Ph. Vial, Interior-point methodology for linear programming: Duality, sensitivity analysis and computational aspects, Report 93–28, Faculty of Technical Mathematics and Informatics, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 1993.Google Scholar
- 11.T. Terlaky find S. Zhang, Pivoting rules for linear programming: A survey on recent theoretical developments, to appear in Annuals of Operations Research: Special Volume on Degeneracy Problems Google Scholar
- 12.L. Zhang and S. Zhang, Convex exact penalty functions, space dilation and linear programming, Research Memorandum Nr. 524, Institute of Economics Research, University of Groningen, The Netherlands, 1993.Google Scholar