Shielded Metal-Arc and Flux-Cored Metal-Arc Stainless Steel Weldments: Magnet Cases for 4-K Service
Load-bearing structures of superconducting magnet systems involve the manufacture of defect-free fusion welds in nitrogen-strengthened austenitic stainless steels in thicknesses to 150 mm. These welds must be capable of fracture-safe operation at 4 K at stresses close to yield and must resist failure caused by growth of fatigue cracks to critical sizes and rapid propagation to fracture. Many factors are involved in making satisfactory welds for this purpose; they have been examined and discussed in Refs. 1 and 2, for example.
KeywordsFatigue Porosity Welding Ferrite Helium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Dalder, Welding of austenitic stainless steels for liquid helium service, in: “Proceedings of the 1980 Superconducting MHD Magnet Design Conference,” Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.T. A. Whipple, H. I. McHenry, and D. T. Read, Weld. J. 60(14):72s.Google Scholar
- 3.R. E. Bulmer and J. Van Sant, “Tandem Mirror Magnet System for the Mirror Fusion Test Facility,” UCRL-84309.Google Scholar
- 4.D. T. Read, The computer-aided J-integral test facility at NBS, in: “Materials Studies for Magnetic Fusion Energy Applications at Low Temperatures—II,” NBSIR 80-1620, National Bureau of Standards, Boulder, Colorado (1980), p. 290.Google Scholar
- 5.Welding and brazing qualifications, Section IX, in: “ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code,” ASME, New York (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.E. Szumachowski and H. Reid, Weld. J. 57(11):325s.Google Scholar
- 7.Section VIII, Divisions 1 and 2, in: “ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code,” ASME, New York (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.C. Witherell, Weld, J. 59 (11): 326s (1980).Google Scholar
- 9.D. T. Read, H. I. McHenry, P. Steinmayer, and R. Thomas, Jr., Weld J. 59 (4): 104s (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.F. Schneider, Jr., General Dynamics-Convair, San Diego, California, personal communication (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.E. Szumachowski and H. Reid, Weld. J. 58 (2): 340s (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.T. Gooch and J. Honeycomb, Weld. J. 59 (8): 233s (1980).Google Scholar