Radiative Symmetry Breaking in Grand Unified Theories
Motivated by composite models, we start from 0(n)-invariant tree potentials for the scalar fields of unified theories and calculate the dynamical symmetry breaking caused by radiative effects. A phenomenologically interesting variety of breaking patterns is obtained. In reducible representations of the scalar fields only the field with the largest Casimir number obtains vacuum expectation values. Right-left symmetric models experience a spontaneous parity breakdown for a range of values of the coupling parameter.
KeywordsScalar Field Coupling Parameter Stability Group Grand Unify Theory Reducible Representation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For a review on composite particle models and the literature see H. Harari, Proceedings of the Summer Institute on Particle Physics, July 28 - August 8, 1980, SLAC Report No. 239, p. 162 (1981).Google Scholar
- Y. Achiman, Wuppertal preprint WU B81–13 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.For a recent review of grand unified theories see J. Ellis, CERN Th 29b2 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Raby, S. Dimopoulos, and L. Susskind, Stanford preprint ITP-653 (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.W. G. McKay and J. Partera, Lecture notes in pure and applied mathematics V 69, Tables of dimensions, indices, and branching rules for representations of simple Lie algebras, Marcell Dekker Inc., New York 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.H. Georgi and S. L. Glashow, Phys. Rev. Lett. 32, U38 (1970).Google Scholar
- M. Gell-Mann, P. Ramond, and R. Slansky, unpublished.Google Scholar
- 11.F. Gürsey, P. Ramond, and P. Sikivie, Phys. Lett. 60B, 177 (1975).Google Scholar
- For a review of E6 models and further literature see ref. U.Google Scholar
- P. H. Frampton and T. W. Kephart, North Carolina preprint IFP 164-UNC.Google Scholar
- 15.For a review on axions see R. D. Peccei, Munich preprint MPI-PAE/PTh U5/81.Google Scholar