Optical Spectra, Energy Levels, and Crystal-Field Analysis of Tripositive Rare Earth Ions in Y2O3: I. Kramers Ions in C2 Sites
The optical spectra of trivalent rare earth ions (R3+) doped into single crystal yttrium oxide (Y2O3) have received considerable attention over the last two decades. A survey of the literature reveals that there is still disagreement over the interpretation of the crystal-field splittings and subsequent wave functions of in both C2 and C3i sites (1–3). Several calculations have appeared in the past for the optical spectra of Nd3+(4f 3), Er3+(4f 11) and Tm3+(4f 12) in C2 sites of Y2O3 and for R3+ in other crystals with C2 sites (4–7). Even less information is available regarding crystal-field splitting calculations for R3+ in C3i sites (2,3,8).
KeywordsOptical Spectrum Stark Level Experimental Energy Level Split Calculation Y203 Crystal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.M. Moon, W.C. Koehler, H.R. Child and L.J. Raubenheimer, Phys. Rev., 116:121 (1968); see also J.B. Gruber, USAEC Progress Report RLO-2221-T6-20, pp. 171–204 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.D. Bloor and J.R. Dean, J. Phys., C5:1237 (1972); J.R. Dean and D. Bloor, ibid, C5: 2921 (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.C.A. Morrison and R.P. Leavitt, J. Chem. Phys., 71:2366 (1979) and references therein.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Schaak and J. A. Koningstein, J. Opt. Soc. Am., 60:1110 (1970); see also A. M. Lejus and D. Michel, Phys. Stat. Sol., (b)84:K105 (1977).Google Scholar
- 9.R.W.G. Wyckoff, Crystal Structure, Vol. 2, 2nd Edition (Interscience, New York), pp. 2 ff.Google Scholar
- 10.N.C. Chang, J.B. Gruber, R.P. Leavitt and C.A. Morrison, J. Chem. Phys., (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.Note that p4 for Tb3+ should be 0.4490 rather than 0.4990 in Ref. 7.Google Scholar