Quantitative Schlieren Measurements of Boundary Layer Phenomena
A technique has been developed to allow quantitative measurement of flow—field density from a conventional schlieren system image. The original technique was limited to density determination outside the image diffraction regions adjacent to model surfaces. This limitation negated the use of the technique in boundary—layer flow regions. Refinements, herein reported, now allow measurements to be made within the boundary—layer regions. The present method has been successfully applied to a variety of two—dimensional and axisymmetric flow fields.
KeywordsCombustion Convection Mercury Refraction Photography
Mesure Quantitative des Phenomenes de la Couche-Limite par Strioscopie
Quantitative Schlieren Messungen an Grenzschichtstroemungen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Ladenburg, R. W., et al, “Physical Measurements in Gas Dynamics and Combustion,” Princeton University Press, 1954.Google Scholar
- (2).Hannah, B. W. and Dale, R. G., Jr., “Quantitative Schlieren Measurements by the Photomultiplier Technique,” ICIASF Record, 1969, 223–228.Google Scholar
- (3).Hannah, B. W., “Quantitative Schlieren Measurements by the Photomultiplier Technique,” PhD Thesis, University of Cincinnati, 1973.Google Scholar
- (4).Moore, F. K., “Theory of Laminar Flows,” Princeton University Press, 1964, 528–572.Google Scholar
- (5).Private Communication, R. T. Davis, Jan. 1973.Google Scholar